- Additional Authors
- Found In
- Gillray, James. Series of miscellaneous and political caricatures by James Gillray. 1779-1811. (NN)NYPG95-F67.
- 25 prints : etching, aquatint, some col.; 32.6 x 38.5 cm. or smaller.
- Prints > English > 1700-1799
- Caricatures > English > 1700-1799
- Great Britain > Social life and customs > 18th century
- Great Britain > Politics and government > 1760-1789
- Male dancers
- Muses (Greek deities)
- Marital violence
- Boxing > Great Britain
- Ballet dancers
- Apollo (Deity)
- Vestris, Marie Jean Augustin, 1760-1842
- Siddons, Sarah, 1755-1831
- Robinson, Mary, 1758-1800
- Hunmphreys, Richard
- George > IV, > King of Great Britain, > 1762-1830
- George > III, > King of Great Britain, > 1738-1820
- Fitzherbert, Maria Anne, 1756-1837
- Caricatures – English – 1700-1799.
- Prints – English – 1700-1799.
- Some prints not by Gillray. Misc.I.25 & 26 are attributed to Bartolozzi and Pastorini after N. Dance by Mary George in Catalogue of Political and Personal Satires Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Vol. V, p. 534.
- Title devised by cataloger.
- Cite As (note)
- Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
- Holdings checked in departmental copy of Thomas Wright and R.H. Evans, Historical and Descriptive Account of the Caricatures of James Gillray. London: Henry G. Bohn, 1851.
- Provenance (note)
- Bequest of Samuel Jones Tilden.
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of Series of miscellaneous and political caricatures by James Gillray in Caricature Collection.
- Misc.I.18 Monuments lately discover'd on Salisbury Plain -- Misc.I.19. A proof of the Refin'd feelings of an amiable character, lately a Candidate for a certain ancient City -- Misc.I.21a [Profile of a man wearing spectacles] -- Misc.I.21b [Bust of a man with a whip] -- Misc.I.21c "I have lost my stomach" -- Misc.I.21d The Golden Pippin -- Misc.I.21e [Profile of a man wearing a sash and star] -- Misc.I.21f [Profile of a woman in a cap] -- Misc.I.21g [Profile of a woman in a cap] -- Misc.I.21h [Man seated by a tea table holding a candle and a book] -- Misc.I.22a Benjamin B. -- Misc.I.22b General Murray -- Misc.I.23 Apollo and the Muses, inflicting Penance on Dr. Pomposo round Parnassus -- Misc.I.24 Returning from Brooks's -- Misc. I.25 Oh Qui Goose-Toe! -- Misc.I.26 [Greek title]
- Misc.I.27 Melpomene -- Misc.I.30a Farmer George and his wife -- Misc.I.30b Paille d'Avoine, Paille d'Avoine -- Misc.I.33 Andrew Robinson Bowles Esqr. as he appeared in the Court of Kings Bench on Tuesday the 28th Novr. 1786 to answer the Articles exhibited against him by his Wife the countess of Strathmore -- Misc.I.34 The Injured Count, S--- -- Misc.I.36 A Fat Buck of Hyde Park -- Misc.I.38 La Belle Assemblée -- Misc.I.39 Dido Forsaken -- Misc.I.40 The famous Battle between Richard Humphreys & Daniel Mendoza, Fought at Oldham in Hampshire January 9th 1788.
- Call Number
- MEZYRK ( Gillray) Misc.I
Gillray, James, 1756-1815.
Miscellaneous caricatures [graphic].
Personal and social satires from the reign of George III, including satires of marriage, drunkenness, dancing, acting, boxing, dandies. Individuals portrayed include Maria Anne Fitzherbert, Daniel Mendoza, Mary Robinson, Sarah Siddons and Marie Jean Augustin Vestris.
- Cite As:
Holdings checked in departmental copy of Thomas Wright and R.H. Evans, Historical and Descriptive Account of the Caricatures of James Gillray. London: Henry G. Bohn, 1851.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of Series of miscellaneous and political caricatures by James Gillray in Caricature Collection.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Bartolozzi, Francesco, 1727-1815.
Dance, Nathaniel, 1735-1811.
Pastorini, Benedict, approximately 1746-1839.
Tilden, Samuel J. (Samuel Jones), 1814-1886, collector.
- Found In:
Gillray, James. Series of miscellaneous and political caricatures by James Gillray. 1779-1811. (NN)NYPG95-F67.
- Research Call Number
MEZYRK ( Gillray) Misc.I