- Additional Authors
- Found In
- Merce Cunningham archive.
- 3 videodiscs (NTSC) (133 min.) : sd., col.; 4 3/4 in.
- Series Statement
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection
- Event (note)
- Recorded at the Merce Cunningham Dance Studio, Westbeth, New York City, on Nov. 17, 1986.
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of the Merce Cunningham archive.
- Disc 1. The conversation (close-ups) [missing 7 min] / with Merce Cunningham, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg (40 min.)
- Disc 2. The conversation (wide shot) / with Merce Cunningham, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg (47 min.) -- Questions and introduction / by David Vaughan (29 min.) -- Introduction / by Adam Pinsker (6 min.)
- Disc 3. Introduction / by Adam Pinsker (11 min.)
- Call Number
- *MGZIDVD 5-1381
The conversation [videorecording] : [with Merce Cunningham, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg].
- Country of Producing Entity
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection
Moderator: David Vaughan. Panelists: Merce Cunningham, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg..
Recorded at the Merce Cunningham Dance Studio, Westbeth, New York City, on Nov. 17, 1986.
These discs contain unedited footage of a conversation with Merce Cunningham, John Cage and Robert Rauschenberg, moderated by David Vaughan. Cunningham, Cage and Rauschenberg discuss their collaborations; the independence of dance, music and decor elements in their work; the works Antic meet, Minutiae and Travelogue; their participation in the first "happening" at Black Mountain College; the Merce Cunningham Dance Company's first Event in Vienna; the importance of lighting in theatrical performances; their current work; reminiscences of touring in the early years of the Cunningham Dance Company. The same material appear on discs 1 and 2, filmed with close-ups on disc 1 and in wide shot on disc 2. Due to damage on disc 1 material between 5 and 13 min. is missing; this material appears (in wide shot) on disc 2. On disc 2, David Vaughan records multiple takes of the questions posed during the conversation, as well as an introduction to the conversation. Adam Pinsker records multiple takes of an introduction for a screening of the conversation on television.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of the Merce Cunningham archive.
- Added Author
Cunningham, Merce, panelist.
Cage, John, panelist.
Rauschenberg, Robert, 1925-2008. panelist.
Vaughan, David, 1924- Moderator
Pinsker, Adam. Speaker
- Found In:
Merce Cunningham archive.
- Research Call Number