- .33 linear feet (1 box).
- Brochures, clippings and correspondence documenting operations of Riverside Branch of The New York Public Library.
- Access (note)
- Biography (note)
- In 1894 the Riverside Association began operating a small lending library on West 59th Street in Manhattan.
- Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
- Finding aid available in repository and on internet.
- Call Number
- MssArc 5860
New York Public Library. Riverside Branch.
Riverside Branch records, 1942-1992.
- Restricted Access
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
In 1894 the Riverside Association began operating a small lending library on West 59th Street in Manhattan. Three years later this library was absorbed by the New York Free Circulating Library (NYFCL) and moved to West 69th Street. When NYFCL merged with The New York Public Library in 1901 the library became that institution's Riverside Branch. In 1905 the branch was moved to a new building at 190 Amsterdam Avenue, constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. The branch remained there for nearly 87 years, the last 23 in a modern building that replaced the old one at the same site. In September 1992, the Riverside Branch reopened in a new building at 127 Amsterdam Avenue. The main floor features extensive collections for adults and teenagers. The Children's Room on the second floor combines materials from the Riverside Branch with the specialized children's collections formerly housed at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.
Finding aid available in repository and on internet.
- Connect to:
- Research Call Number