- Additional Authors
- Horosko, Marian
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 21 minutes): digital
- New York State Council on the Arts, 2000-2001.
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Interview with Alicia Alonso conducted by Marian Horosko on November 1, 1970, in Alonso's dressing room (during a rehearsal) at the Teatro Garcia Lorca in Havana, Cuba.
- Sound quality is fair. The recording is marred by extraneous noise including "tape hiss," but the speakers' voices are clear and easily intelligible.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.
- Funding (note)
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Source (note)
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 5-1114
Alonso, Alicia, 1920-2019. interviewee.
Interview with Alicia Alonso.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
Streaming audio file (approximately 21 minutes). Alicia Alonso speaks with Marian Horosko about her career; the creation of Cuba's national ballet school and company, the Ballet Nacional de Cuba, from 1948 to the present; the role of Fernando Alonso in the development of dance in Cuba; Alicia Alonso's development as a dancer; the teachers who influenced her; technique as the key to expressive freedom. Alonso speaks about the relationship of the company to the revolution in Cuba; her view of the relationship between the national origins of a dancer and the universality of the art of dance. Following the interview, Marian Horosko describes the time and place of the interview and the current status of Alicia Alonso and the company.
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 21 minutes); polyester; half-track; 3.75 ips; 5 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto51114_v01f02_sc. There is an additional sound reel labeled *MGZTO 7-1241 (1 of 1); polyester; 7.5 ips; 7 in., which is a copy of *MGZTO 5-1114, reel 2. It has not been digitized but has been preserved in sound cassette and 10 inch reel formats.
Recorded by Marian Horosko November 1, 1970 Havana (Cuba)
Gift of Marian Horosko
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Horosko, Marian, interviewer.
- Added Title
Dance Audio Archive
New York State Council on the Arts, 2000-2001.
- Research Call Number