- Additional Authors
- Andrews, Bert.
- Seymour, Maurice.
- Apeda Studio (New York, N.Y.)
- Bell (New York, N.Y.)
- Bloom (Chicago, Ill.)
- Elcha (New York, N.Y.)
- Friedman-Abeles (New York, N.Y.)
- Nasib (New York, N.Y.)
- Vandamm Studio (New York, N.Y.)
- Vithana Studio.
- White Studio (New York, N.Y.)
- Woodard's Studio (Chicago, Ill.)
- Woodard's Studio (Kansas City, Mo.)
- 15,635 items (24.5 lin. ft., 15 boxes, 3 record cartons); 58 x 86 cm. and smaller.
- 199 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 2496 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 2204 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 219 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 137 photographic prints : col. ;
- 121 photographic prints : col. ;
- 340 ephemera ;
- 1140 postcards : b&w, some col. ;
- 687 postcards : b&w, some col. ;
- 86 photomechanical prints : halftone, b&w, some col. ;
- 61 photolithographs : halftone ;
- 29 photographic postcards : b&w, some col. ;
- 44 contact sheets : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 30 key sheets : silver gelatin, b&w ;
- 12 instant camera photographs ;
- 3 cabinet photographs : b&w ;
- 1,097 slides : col. ;
- 7 advertising cards : b&w ;
- 2 transparencies : col. ;
- 56 negatives : b&w ;
- 54 clippings : halftone, b&w ;
- 29 menus ;
- Schomburg NEH Blacks on Stage: African-American Theater Arts Collections Project.
- Parker, Delores (Vocalist)
- Parker, Bernard H (Violinist)
- Carpenter, Elliot, 1894-
- Slides > 1960-1999
- Gelatin silver film negatives > 1950-1999
- Autographs > 1890-1999
- Inscriptions > 1890-1999
- Erotica > 1920-1939
- Contact sheets > 1950-1999
- Keys (Legends)
- Ephemera > 1890-1999
- Photomechanical prints > 1910-1999
- Dye coupler prints > 1950-1999
- Gelatin silver prints > 1890-1999
- Postcards > 1890-1999
- Publicity photographs > 1890-1999
- Group portraits > 1890-1999
- Portrait photographs > 1890-1999
- Black Arts movement
- Female impersonators > United States
- Nudity in the performing arts > United States
- Musical revues and comedies > United States > 1890-1999
- Blackface entertainers > United States
- Vaudeville > United States
- Musical groups
- Theatrical productions > United States > 1890-1999
- African Americans > Performances and portrayals > 1890-1999
- African Americans on television
- African American singers
- Aldridge, Ira Frederick, 1807-1867
- Baker, Josephine, 1906-1975
- Barnes, Mae
- Blake, Eubie, 1887-1983
- Browning, Ivan
- Bubbles, John W
- Burgoyne, Ollie
- Cisco, Goldie
- Cooper, Opal
- Croxton, Darryl
- Dodson, Owen, 1914-1983
- Easton, Sidney, 1885-1971
- Gardeen, Gertrude
- Johnson, J. Rosamond (John Rosamond), 1873-1954
- Lyles, Aubrey L., -1932
- Miller, Flournoy E., 1886-1971
- Mills, Florence, 1896-1927
- Mitchell, Abbie
- Morton, Edna
- Perkins, Eddie Cutie
- Preer, Evelyn
- Price, Naomi
- Razaf, Andy, 1895-1973
- Robinson, Bill, 1878-1949
- Russell, Maude
- Saunders, Gertrude
- Sissle, Noble, 1889-1975
- Snow, Valaida
- Spencer, Edith
- Sul-Te-Wan, Madame
- Thompson, Slim
- Thompson, Ulysses S
- Waller, Fats, 1904-1943
- Webb, Margot, ballroom dancer
- Whipper, Leigh R (Leigh Rollin), 1877-1975
- Williams, Fess, 1894-1975
- Williams, Happy
- African American actors
- African American actresses
- African Americans in the performing arts
- African American theater
- African American motion picture actors and actresses
- African American dancers
- African American musicians
- African American dramatists
- African American entertainers
- African American women entertainers
- Portrait photographs – 1890-1999.
- Group portraits – 1890-1999.
- Publicity photographs – 1890-1999.
- Postcards – 1890-1999.
- Gelatin silver prints – 1890-1999.
- Dye coupler prints – 1950-1999.
- Photomechanical prints – 1910-1999.
- Ephemera – 1890-1999.
- Keys (Legends)
- Contact sheets – 1950-1999.
- Erotica – 1920-1939.
- Inscriptions – 1890-1999.
- Autographs – 1890-1999.
- Gelatin silver film negatives – 1950-1999.
- Slides – 1960-1999.
- Title devised by cataloger.
- Some photographs have photographer's or photography studio's handstamp on verso and/or blind stamp on recto; some images have photographer's signature or name printed on recto. Some photographs bear handwritten notations, or typewritten or printed captions on verso; some items have handwritten or printed captions on recto; some items are autographed or inscribed. Some publicity portraits have resumes attached. Some items are either mounted, matted, or form parts of scrapbooks. Some items are duplicates. Some photographs are damaged and/or deteriorating.
- Collection contains work by Bert Andrews, Maurice Seymour, Woodard's Studio, Elcha, Friedman-Abeles Photographers, and White Studio, among others.
- Some items may be under copyright; permission of the copyright holder is required for duplication.
- Source (note)
- Biography (note)
- The Helen Armstead-Johnson photograph collection was assembled by English professor Helen Armstead-Johnson, beginning in the 1960s, during the course of her research into the contributions of African-Americans to the American stage.
- Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of: Helen Armstead-Johnson Theater Collection, 1818-1994.
- Call Number
- Sc Photo Helen Armstead-Johnson Photograph Collection (Main Record)
Johnson, Helen A. Collector
Helen Armstead-Johnson photograph collection : main record [graphic].
The Helen Armstead-Johnson Photograph Collection consists of over 15,000 photographs, prints, postcards and transparencies, which document the contributions of African-Americans to the performing arts, both in the United States and abroad. The collection which dates from the nineteenth century to the 1990s documents the work of actors, dancers, musicians, singers and comedians as well as playwrights, composers, songwriters, producers, directors and choreographers. There are also a handful of images of African-American circus performers that may be found mainly in the Ulysses S. "Kid" Thompson collection and also in the files of a few of the other entertainers.
The collection consists of studio and publicity portraits of individual entertainers; motion picture, television stills and theater scenes of performances by African-Americans; personal collections of individual entertainers which were donated to the Armstead-Johnson Foundation for Black Theater Research; and a collection of over 1,000 postcards, which includes a rare group of pre-1915 postcard portraits of African-American performers, produced in Europe. The collection is divided into five series: I. Armstead-Johnson Foundation; II. Personalities; III. Production stills; IV. Personal Collections; V. Postcards. Each series is cataloged and described separately.
Some items may be under copyright; permission of the copyright holder is required for duplication.
The Helen Armstead-Johnson photograph collection was assembled by English professor Helen Armstead-Johnson, beginning in the 1960s, during the course of her research into the contributions of African-Americans to the American stage. The collection consists of photographs, prints, postcards and transparencies that document African-American entertainers in various areas of the performing arts. In 1974 Johnson established the Armstead-Johnson Foundation for Theater Research for the purpose of further collecting as well as preserving, documenting and interpreting the contributions of African-Americans to the performing arts. The entire collection, consisting of several thousand photographs, posters, letters, scrapbooks, costumes and costume designs, recordings and other memorabilia, was donated to the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in December 1996.
Finding aid available : folder level control.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of: Helen Armstead-Johnson Theater Collection, 1818-1994.
- Local Note
Sc MG 599
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Andrews, Bert. Photographer
Seymour, Maurice. Photographer
Apeda Studio (New York, N.Y.)
Bell (New York, N.Y.)
Bloom (Chicago, Ill.)
Elcha (New York, N.Y.)
Friedman-Abeles (New York, N.Y.)
Nasib (New York, N.Y.)
Vandamm Studio (New York, N.Y.)
White Studio (New York, N.Y.)
Woodard's Studio (Chicago, Ill.)
Woodard's Studio (Kansas City, Mo.)
- Added Title
Schomburg NEH Blacks on Stage: African-American Theater Arts Collections Project.
- Research Call Number
Sc Photo Helen Armstead-Johnson Photograph Collection (Main Record)