- Additional Authors
- Bradley, Will.
- Coppola, Carmine, 1910-1991.
- Cowell, Henry, 1897-1965.
- Cox, Clarence.
- De Maria, Rosalino.
- Fenstock, Belle, 1914-
- Gerschefski, Edwin, 1909-1992.
- Gershwin, George, 1898-1937.
- Murray, Lyn, 1909-1989.
- Weiner, Lazar, 1897-1982.
- 259 sound discs : analog.; 12 in.
- analog, 78 rpm ;
- analog, 33 1/3 rpm ;
- These noncommercial acetate disc recordings were collected by Schillinger, and in many instances recorded by him as well.
- Sound recordings.
- Access (note)
- Access to original items is restricted. Advance notification is required for use.
- Source (note)
- Biography (note)
- Joseph Schillinger (1895-1943) was a Russian born, American music theorist and composer.
- Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
- Finding aid located in repository: *L(Special) 89-16.
- Processing Action (note)
- Call Number
- *L (Special) 89-16
Schillinger, Joseph, 1895-1943.
Joseph Schillinger collection of noncommercial recordings, 1937-1943.
Access to original items is restricted. Advance notification is required for use.
Joseph Schillinger (1895-1943) was a Russian born, American music theorist and composer. He studied design, music, mathematics, physics, drama, art, dance, history, language, and electrical engineering, aas well as four years of classical music studies and composition at the University of St. Petersburg. Upon graduation, he was appointed professor of music at the Kharkov Institute of Music. He also served as professor of the history of the arts at St. Petersburg and organized the first jazz band in Russia.
He came to America in 1928, and became a naturalized citizen in 1936. Schillinger taught music, mathematics, art history, and his own system of strict mathematical composition at the New School for Social Research, at New York University and also at Columbia University Teacher's College.
His many students included: Tommy Dorsey, Vernon Duke, George Gershwin, Benny Goodman, and Oscar Levant.
His master text is the posthumously published, The Schillinger System of Musical Composition.
Finding aid located in repository: *L(Special) 89-16.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Bradley, Will. Composer
Coppola, Carmine, 1910-1991. Composer
Cowell, Henry, 1897-1965. Composer
Cox, Clarence. Composer
De Maria, Rosalino. Composer
Fenstock, Belle, 1914- Composer
Gerschefski, Edwin, 1909-1992. Composer
Gershwin, George, 1898-1937. Composer
Murray, Lyn, 1909-1989. Composer
Weiner, Lazar, 1897-1982. Composer
- Research Call Number
*L (Special) 89-16