- Additional Authors
- Currier, Dick.
- Handy, W. C. (William Christopher), 1873-1958.
- Johnson, Rosamond.
- Mordecai, Jimmy.
- Murphy, Dudley, 1897-1968.
- RCA Photophone.
- Smith, Bessie, 1894-1937
- Washington, Isabel.
- 1 videocassette (U-matic) (17 min.) : sd., b&w; 3/4 in.
- Alternative Title
- Saint Louis blues.
- Black films and programs.
- Music shorts.
- Other titles on this tape: Symphony in Black (9 minutes) -- Pie-Pie Blackbird (9 minutes)-- Jitterbug Party (6 minutes)
- Credits (note)
- Choral arrangements by W.C. Handy and Rosamund Johnson, cinematography by Walter Strenge.
- Performer (note)
- Bessie Smith, James P. Johnson Orchestra, Fletcher Henderson Band, W.C. Handy Choir.
- Call Number
- Sc Visual VRB-2013
St. Louis blues [videocassette] / director, story, Dudley Murphy ; under the supervision of Dick Currier.
Astoria, N.Y. : Gramercy Studios of RCA Photophone, Inc., 1929.
Bessie Smith, James P. Johnson Orchestra, Fletcher Henderson Band, W.C. Handy Choir.
Choral arrangements by W.C. Handy and Rosamund Johnson, cinematography by Walter Strenge.
Bessie Smith plays a woman arriving home to find her man Jimmy with another woman (Isabel Washington), who has brought him luck in a crap game. Disconsolate over his infidelity, Bessie sings "My man's got a heart like a rock" while perched at a bar in a nightclub. Bessie is joined by a band and chorus. Jimmy (Jimmy Mordecai) appears and does a rousing dance, fakes a reconciliation with Bessie only to run off with all her money again. This is the only surviving film made by the legendary blues singer.
- Added Author
Murphy, Dudley, 1897-1968. Director
Smith, Bessie, 1894-1937 Performer
Handy, W. C. (William Christopher), 1873-1958. Arranger
Johnson, Rosamond. Arranger
Mordecai, Jimmy. Performer
Washington, Isabel. Performer
- Added Title
Saint Louis blues.
- Research Call Number
Sc Visual VRB-2013 Original of: Sc Visual VRA-259