- Additional Authors
- Alter, Stewart.
- Goldberg, Jane, 1948-
- Cook, Charles, 1917-1991
- Briggs, Bunny
- Raven, Jackie
- Jassem, Lynne
- Nelson, Gilbert.
- Brown, Buster, 1913-2002
- Roberts, Jim.
- Changing Times Tap Dancing Company.
- 2 streaming video files (NTSC) (110 min.) : sd., b&w
- Gift of Jane Goldberg.
- Series Statement
- Jane Goldberg's Wandering shoes tap(h)istory featuring tip top tapes, tapalogues, tapology and tapperabilia.
- Title provided by Jane Goldberg.
- Location and date from original container ; additional program information from a review by Richard M. Sudhalter, New York Post, June 3, 1981 [performances ran from May 28-June 7, 1981].
- Remastered on Betacam by Dance Collection.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming video file only at the Library for the Performing Arts.
- Event (note)
- Videotaped in performance at the Bouwerie Lane Theater, New York, on June 6, 1981.
- Funding (note)
- Preservation of this video was supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- Cassette 1 (ca. 50 min.). Dances include: Sand dance performed by Cookie -- Dance with broom by Jane Goldberg -- Duet by Lynne Jassem and Jackie Raven -- "It don't mean a thing," danced by Bunny Briggs -- "The neighbor," a parody of Edgar Allan Poe's "The raven," performed by Stewart Alter and Goldberg -- "I remember you, Hanya," performed by Cookie -- Duets by Cookie and Goldberg, including a dance with bottles and the bambalina.
- Cassette 2 (ca. 60 min.). Includes: "The frog prince," performed by Alter -- Song by Gil Nelson -- Solos and duets by Cookie and Goldberg -- Instrumental work -- Show-within-a show, which includes "For dancers only," performed by Goldberg, Raven, and Jassem -- Solo by Briggs -- Duet by Goldberg and Cookie -- Song by Nelson -- Chair dance and finale by entire cast -- "Cute," danced by Buster Brown -- Shim sham, danced by entire cast and guests.
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 7573
Old, new, borrowed and bluesy [electronic resource]/ presented by the Changing Times Tap Dancing Company.
- Country of Producing Entity
Jane Goldberg's Wandering shoes tap(h)istory featuring tip top tapes, tapalogues, tapology and tapperabilia.
Videotaped in performance at the Bouwerie Lane Theater, New York, on June 6, 1981.
Performed by Stewart Alter, Jane Goldberg, Charles "Cookie" Cook, Bunny Briggs, Lynne Jassem, Jackie Raven, Gil[bert] Nelson (singer and master of ceremonies).
Guest artist: Buster Brown.
Musicians: Jim Roberts (piano), Ratzo B. Harris (bass), Jim Payne (percussion).
The first part of the performance is presented within the framework of a narrative by Stewart Alter, relating his experiences as the neighbor of a tap dancer. In the second part Jane Goldberg first plans, then puts on a show, for which Gil Nelson acts as master of ceremonies. Among the audience members invited onstage at the end is Buster Brown.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming video file only at the Library for the Performing Arts.
Preservation of this video was supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZIC 9-5700.
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Literature and dance.
Satire in dance.
- Added Author
Alter, Stewart. Performer
Goldberg, Jane, 1948- Performer
Cook, Charles, 1917-1991, dancer.
Briggs, Bunny, dancer.
Raven, Jackie, dancer.
Jassem, Lynne, dancer.
Nelson, Gilbert. Singer. Performer
Brown, Buster, 1913-2002, dancer.
Roberts, Jim. Instrumentalist
Changing Times Tap Dancing Company.
- Added Title
Gift of Jane Goldberg.
- Research Call Number
*MGZIC 9-5700 (former)