- Additional Authors
- Davidson, Jo, 1883-1952.
- Erskine, John, 1879-1951.
- Fiske, Abby Morgan.
- Hawthorne, Julian, 1846-1934.
- Keppel, Frederick P. (Frederick Paul), 1875-1943.
- Lloyd, Beatrix Demarest.
- Spingarn, Joel Elias, 1875-1939.
- Stedman, Edmund Clarence, 1833-1908.
- Stokes, Rose Pastor, 1879-1933.
- Trent, William P. (William Peterfield), 1862-1939.
- Wendell, Barrett, 1855-1921.
- 24 linear feet (50 boxes, 17 v.)
- American literature > 19th century
- Art > Collectors and collecting
- Art > History and criticism
- Authors Club (New York, N.Y.)
- Book collecting
- Cardozo, Benjamin N. 1870-1938
- Columbia University
- East & West (New York, N.Y. : 1900)
- Hellman, George S. 1878-1958
- Irving, Washington, 1783-1859
- Literature > Societies, etc
- Seligman family
- Stevenson, Robert Louis, 1850-1894
- Whistler, James McNeill, 1834-1903
- Access (note)
- Source (note)
- Biography (note)
- George Sidney Hellman (1878-1958), American author and editor, was a rare book, manuscript and art dealer and collector in New York City.
- Processing Action (note)
- Cataloging updated
- Call Number
- MssCol 1376
Hellman, George S. (George Sidney), 1878-1958.
George Sidney Hellman papers, 1888-1958, bulk (1900-1958).
- Restricted Access
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of Hellman's correspondence, writings, research notes, scrapbooks, photographs, and printed matter. General correspondence, 1888-1958, contains his letters to and from fellow students and professors at Columbia University; letters concerning his activities as editor of East & West and as art and manuscript dealer and collector; as well as correspondence with fellow scholars and publishers regarding his research and writing on Washington Irving, Robert Louis Stevenson, James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Benjamin N. Cardozo, and the Seligman family. Also, essays, reviews, plays, novels, speeches, and biographical and autobiographical works (both published and unpublished), scrapbooks of clippings, writings by others (mostly typescripts), photographs, contracts, and memorabilia.
George Sidney Hellman (1878-1958), American author and editor, was a rare book, manuscript and art dealer and collector in New York City. He amassed collections of his own and helped secure major acquisitions for the Pierpont Morgan Library. He founded and edited the literary magazine, East & West, 1900-1901; and from 1919 to 1920 served as director of the American Expeditionary Forces University's School of Fine Arts for servicemen in France. His publications include Washington Irving, Esquire (1925), The True Stevenson (1925), Benjamin N. Cardozo, American Judge (1940), and hundreds of book reviews and magazine articles.
- Finding Aids
Collection guide available in repository and on internet.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Davidson, Jo, 1883-1952.
Erskine, John, 1879-1951.
Fiske, Abby Morgan.
Hawthorne, Julian, 1846-1934.
Keppel, Frederick P. (Frederick Paul), 1875-1943.
Lloyd, Beatrix Demarest.
Spingarn, Joel Elias, 1875-1939.
Stedman, Edmund Clarence, 1833-1908.
Stokes, Rose Pastor, 1879-1933.
Trent, William P. (William Peterfield), 1862-1939.
Wendell, Barrett, 1855-1921.
- Research Call Number