- ca. 6200 items in 770 folders.
- Principally a gift of Ted Shawn. Other donors include Grace Badorek, Gray Johnson Poole, and Walter Terry.
- This collection documents Ted Shawn's personal life as well as his career as a dancer, choreographer, and writer.
- The material is divided into nine major sections: Correspondence (603 folders divided into six sections: Correspondence to Ted Shawn or his representative, Correspondence re Ted Shawn's 80th birthday, Ted Shawn/Walter Terry correspondence, Correspondence re 1001 night stands, Correspondence to or from Ruth St. Denis); Ted Shawn's annual newsletters (9 folders); Unpublished manuscript of Ted Shawn's autobiography (10 folders); Written works by Ted Shawn (5 folders); Written works about Ted Shawn (5 folders); Notes for Shawn's 33 years of American dance (24 folders); Denishawn Dancers and Ted Shawn and his Men Dancers (Diaries, route lists, and financial records in 28 folders); Delsarte system of expression (Notes, lectures, and manuscripts in 78 folders); Miscellaneous (8 folders).
- The bulk of the correspondence dates from 1960-1971; it consists mainly of personal and business letters written to Ted Shawn by notable people in the dance world. Many letters are in regard to Jacob's Pillow. There is a large amount of Ruth St. Denis-Ted Shawn correspondence (mainly from the 1920's and 1960's). The Delsarte section includes 2 typescripts for Shawn's Every little movement.
- Access (note)
- Partially restricted; For folders which are permission required or closed, consult finding aid.
- Processing Action (note)
- Call Number
- (S) *MGZMC-Res. 31
Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972.
Ted Shawn collection, 1903-1971.
Partially restricted; For folders which are permission required or closed, consult finding aid.
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Manuscripts -- Collections.
- Research Call Number
(S) *MGZMC-Res. 31