- Additional Authors
- 1 streaming video file (NTSC) (38 min.) : sd., col.
- Sixth in a series of six videotapes made as a record of Richard Thomas's method of teaching classical ballet. The first five tapes (*MGZIC 9-3394, 9-3395, 9-3396, 9-3397, 9-3398) show Thomas in action in the classroom; the sixth is an interview with Thomas by Eliot Feld. Among the topics they discuss are: Ballet Theatre in the 1940s, when Thomas was a member of the company; what constitutes good line and classicism in ballet; the problem of handing down ballets from one generation to another; pointe work today and in the past, especially George Balanchine's use of pointe; the effects of turnout on body alignment; the achievement of ideal form in dance, with Alicia Markova as an example; the divergence between academic and performing ideals; and the need for selfless dedication to dance.
- Videotaped by Jay Millard for the Jerome Robbins Archive at the New Ballet School, New York, on March 2, 1992, with the assistance of grants from New York State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming video file only at the Library for the Performing Arts.
- Funding (note)
- Preservation of this video was supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 2278
Richard Thomas: teaching at the New Ballet School: interview [electronic resource]
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming video file only at the Library for the Performing Arts.
Preservation of this video was supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZIC 9-3399.
Additional Copy 1: 1 3/4" videocassette, copied from edit master, 6/92; in Princeton ReCAP Regular Storage.
Additional Copy 2: 1 3/4" videocassette, copied from pres. master, 6/92; in Princeton ReCAP Regular Storage; was vid. viewing copy until 4/2017
- Local Subject
Ballet in television. Richard Thomas: Teaching at the New Ballet School.
- Added Author
Feld, Eliot. Interviewer
Thomas, Richard, 1926- Interviewee
Millard, Jay. Videographer
New Ballet School (New York, N.Y.)
- Other Form:
Electronic reproduction of (manifestation): Richard Thomas: teaching at the New Ballet School: interview [electronic resource] 1 open reel video type c (38 min.) : sound, color ; 1 in. (SPEC AMI ID)275028
- Research Call Number
*MGZIC 9-3399 (former)