- Additional Authors
- 2 streaming video files (NTSC) (83 min.) : sd., col.
- Unedited footage recorded in southwestern Virginia by Appalshop, Whitesburg, Kentucky, for the videodocumentary Interweaving patterns (later retitled Step back Cindy), sponsored by the Virginia Commission for the Arts and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. Directors: Anne Johnson and Susan Spalding.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming video file online only on site at the Library for the Performing Arts.
- Funding (note)
- Preservation of this video was supported by a donation from Lynn Garafola.
- CONTENTS. - Interview with Kirby Smith. Recorded in Chilhowie, Virginia, in August 1989. Smith, who has been a square dance caller for 50 years, recounts some of his experiences. He recites examples of his calls, describes the difference between what is called Appalachian, colonial, or old-time square dancing and western square dancing, and comments upon the incorporation of clogging in square dancing. He describes a number of square dance figures and explains different ways of dancing the Virginia reel.
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 1460
Interweaving patterns: [Unedited footage] [electronic resource]
Part of a 16-cassette series containing unedited interview and dance footage. Although the interviews focus primarily on dance, they also cover a broad range of topics intended to fill in the socio-cultural background of the region. For the completed documentary, see: *MGZIA 4-1305 Step back Cindy.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming video file online only on site at the Library for the Performing Arts.
Preservation of this video was supported by a donation from Lynn Garafola.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZIC 9-2261 cassettes 9A & 9B
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Television. Interweaving patterns.
Square, round and contra dancing.
Square, round and contra dancing -- Calls.
Square, round and contra dancing -- Steps and figures.
- Local Subject
Television. Step back Cindy.
- Added Author
Smith, Kirby, square dance caller. Interviewee
Spalding, Susan Eike. Director
Johnson, Anne. Director
- Research Call Number