Black and blue
- Black and blue [videorecording]
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
Available - Can be used on site. Please visit New York Public Library - Performing Arts Research Collections to submit a request in person.
|Moving image||Use in library||*MGZIDVD 5-8165||Performing Arts Research Collections - Dance|
- Additional Authors
- Briggs, Bunny
- Brown, Ralph
- Chaney, Lon, 1927-1995.
- Slyde, Jimmy
- Walker, Dianne
- Hall, Angela (Dancer)
- Fleming, Eugene
- Levy, Ted
- Manners, Bernard
- Ramsey, Kevin
- Glover, Cyd
- Glover, Savion
- Sumbry-Edwards, Dormeshia
- Brown, Ruth, 1928-2006.
- Nicholas, Fayard
- Atkins, Cholly
- Le Tang, Henry
- Segovia, Claudio.
- Orezzoli, Héctor.
- Jampolis, Neil Peter
- Reisman, Jane.
- Manning, Frankie
- Stucker, Richard
- 2 videodiscs (DVD, NTSC) (136 min.) : sd., col.; 4 3/4 in.
- Videotaped in performance for the Jerome Robbins Archive and the Theater on Film and Tape Archive on June 14, 1989, at the Minskoff Theater, New York, by Richard Stucker, with the assistance of grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and New York State Council on the Arts.
- Presented by Mel Howard and Donald K. Donald.
- Entire production conceived and directed by Claudio Segovia and Héctor Orezzoli. Choreography: Cholly Atkins, Henry Le Tang, Frankie Manning, Fayard Nicholas. Assistant choreographer: Dianne Walker. Music: Various. Musical supervision, arrangements, and orchestrations: Sy Johnson. Scenery/costumes: Claudio Segovia, Héctor Orezzoli. Lighting: Neil Peter Jampolis, Jane Reisman.
- Singers: Ruth Brown, Linda Hopkins, Carrie Smith. Hoofers: Bunny Briggs, Ralph Brown, Lon Chaney, Jimmy Slyde, Dianne Walker. Dancers: Rashamella Cumbo, Tanya Gibson, Germaine Goodson, Angela Hall, Kyme, Valerie Macklin, Deborah Mitchell, Valerie E. Smith, Frederick J. Boothe, Edward Campbell IV, Eugene Fleming, Ted Levy, Bernard Manners, Van Porter, Kevin Ramsey, Ken Roberson, Melvin Washington; Younger generation: Cyd Glover, Savion Glover, Dormeshia Sumbry. Conductor: Leonard Oxley.
- This title can also be found in the Theater on Film and Tape Archive, call number NCOV 797.
- DANCE CONTENTS: Disc 1 (76 min.): Act I: Hoofers a cappella, perf. by Brown, Manners, Savion Glover, Briggs, Levy, Slyde, and Chaney. -- "Everybody loves my baby" (chor: Le Tang), perf. by the Dancers. -- "After you've gone" (chor: Atkins), sung by Hopkins, danced by Manners and male dancers. -- "I want a big butter and egg man" (chor: Nicholas), sung by Smith, danced by Fleming, Ramsey, and Levy. -- "Rhythm is our business" (chor: Le Tang), perf. by Savion Glover, Cyd Glover, and Sumbry. -- "Mystery song," perf. by Gibson, Cumbo, and Smith. -- "Stompin' at the Savoy," perf. by Slyde. -- "Black and tan fantasy" (chor: Manning), perf. by Briggs and the Dancers. -- Disc 2 (60 min.): Act II: "That rhythm man" (chor: Le Tang), perf. by the Dancers. -- "Swinging" to "Wednesday night hop" (chor: Manning), perf. by the Dancers. -- "Memories of you" (chor: Atkins), perf. by Walker, Manners, and Ramsey. -- "I'm confessing" (chor: Atkins), sung and danced by Kyme, with Manners, Boothe, Levy, and Ramsey. -- "East St. Louis toodle-oo," perf. by Brown and Chaney. -- "I can't give you anything but love" (chor: Le Tang), sung and danced by Hall and Fleming, with the Dancers. -- "In a sentimental mood," perf. by Briggs. -- "Black and blue," sung by Brown, Hopkins, and Smith, danced by Slyde and Briggs. -- "Finale" (chor: Le Tang).
- Tang), perf. by Savion Glover, Cyd Glover, Sumbry, Slyde, Briggs, Brown, Chaney, Walker, and the Dancers.
- Call Number
- *MGZIDVD 5-8165
- Black and blue [videorecording]
- Local Note
- Former call number: *MGZIC 9-1183.
- Local Subject
- Musical comedies. Black and blue.
- Added Author
- Briggs, Bunny, dancer.Brown, Ralph, dancer.Chaney, Lon, 1927-1995.Slyde, Jimmy, dancer.Walker, Dianne, dancer.Hall, Angela (Dancer)Kyme, dancer.Fleming, Eugene, dancer.Levy, Ted, dancer.Manners, Bernard, dancer.Ramsey, Kevin, dancer.Glover, Cyd, dancer.Glover, Savion, dancer.Sumbry-Edwards, Dormeshia, dancer.Brown, Ruth, 1928-2006. PerformerNicholas, Fayard, choreographer.Atkins, Cholly, choreographer.Le Tang, Henry, choreographer.Segovia, Claudio. DirectorSegovia, Claudio. Set designerSegovia, Claudio. Costume designerOrezzoli, Héctor. DirectorOrezzoli, Héctor. Set designerOrezzoli, Héctor. Costume designerJampolis, Neil Peter, lighting designer.Reisman, Jane. Lighting designerManning, Frankie, choreographer.Stucker, Richard, videographer.
- Research Call Number
- *MGZIC 9-1183 (former)