- Additional Authors
- Conway, Peter, 1929 July 18-
- 17 streaming audio files (approximately 12 hr. and 48 min.) : digital
- Streaming files 1 - 17 (approximately twelve hours and 48 minutes). Francisco Moncion speaks with Peter Conway about taking class with Anatole Oboukhoff, at the School of American Ballet; the training at the School of American Ballet; joining Ballet International [Grand Ballet de Monte Carlo]; the company's repertory and its members; [the ballet] Sebastian (Edward Caton); Bronislava Nijinska; roles created for him; the disbanding of Ballet International; Memories (Simon Semenoff); André Eglevsky; Sentimental colloquy (Eglevsky); Vera Nemchinova; Antonia Cobos' ballet, The mute wife; Ballet International's financial problems; Mad Tristan (Leonide Massine); dancing with the Original Ballet Russe and the company's repertory; working with George Balanchine on the Four temperaments; Divertimento (Balanchine); the early years of Ballet Society; partnering Maria Tallchief and Mary Ellen Moylan; Orpheus and Eurydice (Balanchine); The Minotaur (John Taras); various works in the New York City Ballet repertory in which he danced; Herbert Bliss; Balanchine; working with Antony Tudor in Time table and La gloire; Jerome Robbins; Beatrice Tompkins; partnering Maria Tallchief and Melissa Hayden in The firebird; Prodigal son; The witch (John Cranko); the 1950 tour of England; Tanaquil Le Clercq in La valse [Valses nobles et sentimentales]; Afternoon of a faun (Jerome Robbins); the New York City Ballet repertory around 1950-1953; Opus 34; Nutcracker suite; a 1979 revival of Orpheus and Eurydice; Jeux d'enfants (Balanchine, Barbara Milberg, and Moncion); his ballet, Pastorale; Roy Tobias; Le Clercq's illness; changes in the company's repertory around 1962-1965; not being asked to go on the 1965 European tour; Don Quixote; Suzanne Farrell.
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive.
- Dance Oral History Project.
- Oral histories.
- Sound recordings.
- For transcript of interview see *MGZMT 5-959.
- Interview with Francisco Moncion conducted by Peter Conway on April 24 and 26 and May 1, 3, 8, 14, 18, and 19, 1979, at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center in New York City, for the Oral History Project of the Jerome Robbins Dance Division.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Funding (note)
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 5-959
- *MGZTO 5-959
Moncion, Francisco, interviewee.
Interview with Francisco Moncion, 1979.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
Recorded for the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Jerome Robbins Dance Division April and May, 1979 New York (N.Y.).
The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Original Version
Original format: five sound tape reels (approximately twelve hours and 48 minutes); polyester; 5"; half-track; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto5959_v01f01p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v01f01p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v01f02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v02f01p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v02f01p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v02f02p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v02f02p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v03f01p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v03f01p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v03f02p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v03f02p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v04f01p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v04f01p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v04f02p01_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v04f02p02_sc, myd_mgzto5959_v05f01p01_sc, and myd_mgzto5959_v05f01p02_sc.
- Local Note
Former class mark: *MGZT 5-959
The former summary in the catalog record extant as of July 19, 2016, was used in the revised record's "contents" field almost verbatim, without auditing of the streaming audio files.
Open to researchers beginning April 1, 2005.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Conway, Peter, 1929 July 18- interviewer.
- Research Call Number