- Additional Authors
- Hunt, Marilyn, 1937-
- 1 streaming file (approximately 39 minutes) : digital, stereo
- Streaming file (approximately 39 minutes). Marilyn Hunt speaks briefly about the interviewee, Felia Doubrovska; Felia Doubrovska speaks with Hunt about her role in Leonide Massine's ballet Ode [or Meditation at night on the majesty of God as revealed by the Aurora Borealis] including Serge Diaghilev's comment on her performance; Serge Lifar and the Bluebird pas de deux; dancing with Serge Lifar in Les sylphides, including an anecdote about the Aga Khan; learning the role of the Firebird from Tamara Karsavina; the absolute nature of Diaghilev's decisions; dancing with Leonide Massine in the Bluebird variation; titles of various works she danced with Lifar; George Balanchine's Pastorale; discussion [while looking at photographs] of Schéhérazade, The sleeping beauty, Apollo, and Les biches including an anecdote about Diaghilev sending her to [the fashion designer] Chanel for her costume [ends abruptly].
- Alternative Title
- Dance Oral History Project
- Dance Audio Archive
- Interview with Felia Doubrovska conducted by Marilyn Hunt on October 25, 1976 in New York City for The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Jerome Robbins Dance Division Oral History Project. At times reference is made to photographs Doubrovska is showing to Hunt. Also, in the last approximately three minutes of the recording an unidentified person contributes a few remarks.
- For transcript see: *MGZMT 5-707.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Sound quality is fair. The recording is marred by extraneous noise including "tape hiss" and occasional short gaps. However, overall, Doubrovska's and Hunt's voices are easily intelligible.
- Access (note)
- Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Funding (note)
- The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 5-707
Doubrovska, Felia, 1896-1981, interviewee.
Interview with Felia Doubrovska. October 25, 1976.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
- Restricted Access
Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
Recorded for The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts 1976, October 25 New York (N.Y.)
The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 39 minutes); 5"; polyester; half-track; 1.875 ips.; transferred to wav file and streaming file formats in 2014.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZT 5-707
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Hunt, Marilyn, 1937- interviewer.
- Research Call Number