- Additional Authors
- 2 streaming files (approximately 25 minutes) : digital, stereo
- Streaming file 1 (approximately 16 minutes). Ben Sommers speaks with Elinor Rogosin about an educational film recently made (for distribution by the Capezio Foundation) about dance wear, theater, and fashion; the history of toe shoes,in particular in the United States,and the roles played by Salvatore Capezio, the Capezio firm [formerly Capezio, Inc.; later Capezio Ballet Makers, Inc.], and Anna Pavlova; the making of a toe shoe; the Capezio firm's role in setting standards for ballet education; the Capezio Foundation and the Capezio Dance Award; the close relationship between dance, theater, and fashion [ends abruptly but continues on streaming file 2].
- Streaming file 2 (approximately 9 minutes). Ben Sommers continues to speak with Elinor Rogosin about the Capezio firm and dance shoes; the influence of dance wear on fashion; his thoughts on education and the arts.
- Gift of Elinor Rogosin. Oral History Archive.
- Uniform Title
- Dance focus (Radio program)
- Radio interviews.
- Interview with Ben Sommers conducted by Elinor Rogosin, as host, on the radio station WBAI, New York on its series Dance focus, for broadcast on May 30, 1971.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Sound quality is fair. The recording is marred by occasional extraneous noise and "tape hiss," but the speakers' voices are easily intelligible.
- Access (note)
- Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Funding (note)
- The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Call Number
- *MGZTC 3-688 reel 12 (former)
Sommers, Ben, 1906-1985, interviewee.
Interview with Ben Sommers, 1971.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
- Restricted Access
Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
Recorded for and broadcast by WBAI 1971, May 30 New York (N.Y.)
The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound cassette (approximately 25 minutes); polyester; transferred to wav file and streaming file formats in 2015.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-688 reel12
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Rogosin, Elinor, interviewer.
Rogosin, Elinor, donor
- Added Title
Dance focus (Radio program)
- Research Call Number
*MGZTC 3-688 reel 12 (former)