- Additional Authors
- 3 streaming audio files (approximately one hour and 42 minutes): digital
- Streaming audio file 1 (approximately 52 minutes). [Begins abruptly.] Deborah Jowitt, as moderator, leads the discussion of choreographic style with the panelists: Mariano Parra, who speaks about his approach to Spanish dance; Kei Takei, who speaks about her choreographic style; Phyllis Lamhut, who speaks about Alwin Nikolais as a choreographer and her own choreographic style; Parra speaks further about style, technique and Spanish dance as well as individual dancers' unique styles; Erin Martin speaks about how Jerome Robbins used a dancer's individual style to shape his choreography; Lamhut , Jowitt, and Parra speak about their concepts of style and the relationship of style and technique; Jowitt speaks with the other panelists further about style and technique including how differently various choreographers have or would have approached the story of the Prodigal son [ends abruptly but continues on streaming audio file 2].
- Streaming audio file 2 (approximately 43 minutes). Deborah Jowitt, as moderator, continues to lead the discussion with the panelists about style in choreography and performance including their different concepts of what this term means and their dislike of being stereotyped as having a particular style. This section includes discussion of issues raised by questions from the audience including the choreographers' choice and casting of dancers, the definition of the term style, and the differences in language and perception between choreographers and critics [ends abruptly but continues on streaming audio file 3].
- Streaming audio file 3 (approximately 7 minutes). The discussion between the audience (including a comment from Selma Jeanne Cohen) and the panelists continues regarding the concept of style.
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Dance Critics' Conference: Panel on style; recorded at the Piccadilly Hotel, New York, on January 6, 1978. Panelists: Deborah Jowitt (moderator), Kei Takei, Mariano Parra, Phyllis Lamhut, and Erin Martin.
- Sound quality is good overall. The recording is marred by extraneous noise, but the speakers' voices are easily intelligible.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Funding (note)
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 5-485
Dance Critics Association (U.S.)
Dance Critics' Conference: Panel on style, 1978
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately one hour and 42 minutes); polyester; half-track; 1.785 ips; 5 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto5485_v01f01p01_sc, myd_mgzto5485_v01f01p02_sc, and myd_mgzto5485_v01f02_sc.
Recorded at the Picadilly Hotel 1978 New York (N.Y.)
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Dancers -- Style.
- Added Author
Jowitt, Deborah, speaker.
Takei, Kei, speaker.
Parra, Mariano, speaker.
Lamhut, Phyllis, speaker.
Martin, Erin, 1936- speaker.
- Research Call Number