- Additional Authors
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 27 minutes): digital
- Streaming audio file (approximately 27 minutes). [Music and announcements including the introduction of the program host, James Lyons.] James Lyons speaks briefly about the recording of the 1957 Capezio Dance Award ceremony to be broadcast. The broadcast of the award ceremony opens with Walter Terry's speech including his remarks about Ben Sommers and the Capezio Dance Award committee; Ted Shawn and the Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival including changes over the years and the wide range of programs presented; Walter Terry presents the award to Ted Shawn; Ted Shawn's acceptance speech including his love of dance and working with Salvatore Capezio to create protective foot ware for modern dancers; his devotion to dance as work and play; fund-raising for Jacob's Pillow including the great support it has received from many people for many years. [Following the recording are James Lyons' brief closing remarks.]
- Uniform Title
- Today in ballet (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Capezio Dance Award ceremony honoring Ted Shawn, recorded on March 19, 1957, on the roof of the St. Regis Hotel, New York (N.Y.); broadcast on May 4, 1957 by radio station WNYC, New York on its series, Today in ballet, with James Lyon as host. Speakers at the ceremony include Walter Terry, as presenter, and Ted Shawn, as recipient.
- The sound quality is very good overall.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-2
Capezio Dance Award, 1957, Ted Shawn.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
Recording of award ceremony broadcast by radio station WNYC, New York March 19, 1957 and May 4, 1957 New York (N.Y.)
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 27 minutes); polyester, full-track, 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto72_v01f01_sc
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-2
Former call number: *MGZT 7-2
- Local Note
Archival Original :*MGZTO 7-2; 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 7 in. reel; polyester. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing Master: *MGZTD 10-2; 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972.
- Added Title
Today in ballet (Radio program)
- Research Call Number