- Additional Authors
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 36 minutes): digital
- Streaming audio file (approximately 36 minutes). [Music and introductory remarks by speaker identified as Dick Nelson.] James Lyons plays a recording of Circus overture by Ernst Toch and introduces Ala Ming, circus tight-wire dancer and member of the circus family, the Naitōs; Ala Ming speaks about her background including her first dancing training, in Moscow; her father Eugene Ming; her experience as a child fleeing wars and revolutions; the intensive training and daily practice required for tight-wire dancing; her own act; the misnomer "tight-rope;" her family; the appeal of Sarasota, Florida, for circus performers; her memories of the circus in Russia [former Soviet Union], in particular the very high standards of the performers and teachers. In the final approximate 10 minutes, a recording of Kenyon Hopkins' Rooms, to which Anna Sokolow choreographed her dance Rooms, is played, followed by James Lyons' closing remarks.
- Oral History Archive.
- National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Uniform Title
- Today in ballet (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Interview with Ala Ming conducted by James Lyon. Recorded May 27, 1958 for radio station WNYC, New York, for its series, Today in ballet. Never broadcast.
- The sound quality is excellent.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-23
Ming, Ala, interviewee.
Interview with Ala Ming, 1958
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Recorded by radio station WNYC, New York, on its program series, Today in ballet May 27, 1958 New York (N.Y.)
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 36 minutes); full-track, 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto723_v01f01_sc.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-23
Former call number: *MGZT 7-23
- Local Note
Archival Original: *MGZTO 7-23; 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 7 in reel; acetate, dual track. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing Master: *MGZTD 10-23; 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester, dual track.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
- Added Author
Lyon, James, interviewer.
Hopkins, Kenyon. Rooms.
- Added Title
Today in ballet (Radio program)
Dance Audio Archive
Oral History Archive.
National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Research Call Number