- Additional Authors
- Terry, Walter
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 27 minutes): digital
- National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Gift of Walter Terry.
- Uniform Title
- Invitation to dance (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Interview with Genevieve Oswald conducted by Walter Terry and broadcast on October 17, 1965 by radio station WNYC, New York, on its series, Invitation to dance.
- The sound quality is excellent.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-58
Oswald, Genevieve, interviewee.
Interview with Genevieve Oswald.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Recorded for radio station WNYC, New York October 17, 1965 New York (N.Y.)
Streaming audio file (approximately 27 minutes). [Music and introductory remarks by unidentified speaker.] Walter Terry introduces Genevieve Oswald, curator of the New York Public Library's Dance Collection [now the Jerome Robbins Dance Division]; Genevieve Oswald speaks about the collection and its new facilities in the Lincoln Center Library and Museum of the Performing Arts [now the The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center]; the official opening date; the availability of the collection to the general public; the history and growth of the collection since its beginnings in 1947 including Oswald's role in its development and direction; examples of some of the rare items in the collection; Walter Toscanini and his vast collection of dance materials; the book to commemorate the opening, titled Images of the dance [Images of the dance: historical treasures of the Dance Collection, 1581-1861, c. 1965]; the nature of the collection including newspaper clippings; the new film archive created with the support of Jerome Robbins [Jerome Robbins Film Archive]; more on Walter Toscanini and his donations of dance materials [now The Cia Fornaroli Collection at the New York Public Library]; the Denishawn collection; the plans to create a multi-volume catalog of the Collection; comparing the Dance Collection to dance collections held elsewhere including the goal of becoming a central repository. [Closing remarks by unidentified speaker and music].
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 27 minutes); acetate, full-track, 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto758_v01f01_sc.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-58
Former call number: *MGZT 7-58
- Local Note
Archival original: *MGZTO 7-58; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 7 in. reel; acetate. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing master:*MGZTD 10-58; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance (NIPAD).
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Terry, Walter, interviewer.
- Added Title
Invitation to dance (Radio program)
Dance Audio Archive
National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
Gift of Walter Terry.
- Research Call Number