- Additional Authors
- Terry, Walter
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 24 minutes) : digital
- Gift of Walter Terry.
- National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Uniform Title
- Invitation to dance (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings
- Interview with Maria Karnilova conducted by Walter Terry, as host; broadcast on April 10, 1966 by radio station WNYC, New York, on its series Invitation to dance.
- The sound quality is excellent.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-89
Karnilova, Maria, interviewee.
Interview with Maria Karnilova, 1966.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Streaming audio file (approximately 24 minutes). Walter Terry introduces Maria Karnilova, a ballet dancer and actor, currently in the musical Fiddler on the roof; Maria Karnilova speaks with Walter Terry about her background including her ballet training at the Metropolitan Opera; her early career, dancing at night clubs; obtaining her costumes at bargain prices from Max Gordon; joining American Ballet Theatre [then Ballet Theatre]; her roles, in particular, in the ballets of Antony Tudor; discovering that she had a gift for comedy; her children as the main reason she gave up ballet as a full time career; ending a dormant period with her role in Donald Saddler's Winesburg, Ohio; how her dance training has contributed to her acting in commercial theater, in particular her use of her entire body and her avoidance of superfluous movement; versatility versus specialization for the performing artist; her plans for her future.
Recorded for and broadcast by radio station WNYC, New York for its program Invitation to dance Broadcast on April 10, 1966 New York (N.Y.)
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 24 minutes); acetate; half-track; 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto789_v01f01_sc.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-89
Former call number: *MGZT 7-89
- Local Note
Archival original: *MGZTO 7-89; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 7 in. reel; acetate, half track. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing master: *MGZTD 10-89; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Terry, Walter, interviewer.
- Added Title
Invitation to dance (Radio program)
Dance Audio Archive
Gift of Walter Terry.
National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Research Call Number