- Additional Authors
- Terry, Walter
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 23 minutes) : digital
- National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Gift of Walter Terry.
- Uniform Title
- Invitation to dance (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Interview with Matteo on teaching dance forms of other cultures, conducted by Walter Terry, as host; broadcast on November 21, around 1967 by radio station WNYC, New York, on its series Invitation to dance.
- The sound quality is very good.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-91
Interview with Matteo : teaching the dance forms of other cultures, 196-.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Streaming audio file (approximately 23 minutes). Following the sound of castanets, Walter Terry introduces Matteo, a teacher of ethnic dance, in particular that of India and Spain; Matteo speaks about the process of teaching and learning Spanish dance in Spain, in particular the method of learning by observation and imitation rather studying technique separately; his own method of teaching Spanish dance to Americans; the castanets (including a brief demonstration); teaching classical Indian dance and Spanish dance at the School of Performing Arts, New York City, in particular, his methods for teaching Indian classical dance forms including how he uses a ballet barre; the place of ethnic dance in a dancer's training and preparation for a professional career. [Matteo very briefly demonstrates, with claps and a chime, a rhythm typically used in teaching classical Indian dance.]
Recorded for and broadcast by radio station WNYC, New York for its program Invitation to dance Broadcast on November 21,196- New York (N.Y.)
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 23 minutes); polyester; half-track; 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto791_v01f01_sc.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-91
Former call number: *MGZT 7-91
- Local Note
Archival original: *MGZTO 7-91; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 7 in. reel; polyester. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing master: *MGZTD 10-91; 7 1/2 in. per sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance (NIPAD).
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Terry, Walter, interviewer.
- Added Title
Invitation to dance (Radio program)
Dance Audio Archive
National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
Gift of Walter Terry.
- Research Call Number