- Additional Authors
- 1 streaming audio file (approximately 42 minutes): digital
- Streaming audio file (approximately 42 minutes). James Lyon introduces his guests, Janet Reed, ballet mistress of the New York City Ballet, and Philip Bloom, press director for the New York City Ballet; Philip Bloom speaks about how he came to be the press director; the stereotyping of press agents including an anecdote about Mike Wallace and Buff Cobb; Philip Bloom and Janet Reed speak about the star system including the New York City Ballet's practice of billing dancers alphabetically and the benefits of not focusing on a few "stars;" the intricacies of the casting schedules; touring; the School of American Ballet including the students' rigorous schedules; Edward Villella; the genius of George Balanchine's choreography including Symphony in C and Agon; New York City Ballet's current season including The nutcracker; the New York City Ballet orchestra including a performance anecdote about Balanchine's Stars and stripes; Janet Reed's duties as ballet mistress; Lyon's concluding remarks.
- National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Uniform Title
- Today in ballet (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Dance Audio Archive
- Sound recordings.
- Interview with Janet Reed and Philip Bloom conducted by James Lyon, as host. Recorded on December 24, 1958 and broadcast by radio station WNYC, New York, on its series, Today in ballet.
- The sound quality is very good.
- The processing and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Access (note)
- Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Call Number
- *MGZTO 7-27
Reed, Janet, 1916-2000, interviwee.
Interview with Janet Reed and Philip Bloom.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
Recorded for WNYC, New York on the series Today in ballet December 24, 1958 New York (N.Y.)
- Restricted Access
Access only on site at the research libraries of The New York Public Library.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 42 minutes); polyester; half-track, 7.5 ips; 7 in.; transferred to wav file and streaming file format in 2015: myd_mgzto727_v01f01_sc.
- Local Note
Former call number: *MGZTC 3-27
Former call number: *MGZT 7-27
- Local Note
Archival Original: *MGZTO 7-27. 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 7 in reel; acetate, dual track. Restored and rehoused in 2015 following water damage.
Dubbing Master: *MGZTD 10-27. 7 1/2 in. per. sec.; 10 in. reel; polyester, dual track.
Preservation funded by the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Lyon, James, interviewer.
Bloom, Philip, interviewee.
- Added Title
Today in ballet (Radio program)
- Research Call Number