- Additional Authors
- 2.8 linear feet (5 boxes).
- Theatrical producers and directors
- Photographic prints
- World War, 1939-1945 > Theater and the war
- Theater > History
- Religion and drama
- American drama > 20th century
- European drama > History
- Greek drama > Study and teaching
- Drama > History and criticism > Study and teaching
- Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
- Schiller, Hans von, 1891-1976
- Reinhardt, Max, 1873-1943
- Ibsen, Henrik, 1828-1906
- Bergner, Elisabeth, 1897-1986
- Barnowsky, Victor, 1876-1952
- Photographic prints.
- Access (note)
- Source (note)
- Biography (note)
- Victor Barnowsky was a German playwright and theater director.
- Processing Action (note)
- Cataloging updated
- Call Number
- MssCol 214
Barnowsky, Victor, 1876-1952.
Victor Barnowsky papers, 1920-1949.
- Restricted Access
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence and scripts of Barnowsky's plays including The Hand that Rocked the Cradle and Women at the Helm; outlines or synopses for adaptations of Ibsen's Ghosts, Schiller's Don Carlos and others; drafts of book entitled Matinée Idol; and Barnowsky's essays on Greek drama. Also, university lectures by Barnowsky on the history of theatre; reminiscences about his career in Germany; biographical papers; and photographs of Alexander Granach, an actor who worked with Barnowsky.
Victor Barnowsky was a German playwright and theater director. After emigrating to the U.S. from Europe in the 1930s, he taught theatre and dramatics at Fordham University and Hunter College in New York City.
- Finding Aids
Collection guide available in repository and on internet.
- Connect to:
Theatrical producers and directors.
- Added Author
Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950.
- Research Call Number