David Belasco collection of incidental music and musicals
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Container||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Box 125||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 125||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 124||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 124||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 123||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 123||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 122||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 122||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 121||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 121||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 120||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 120||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 119||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 119||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 118||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 118||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 117||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 117||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 116||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 116||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 115||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 115||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 114||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 114||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 113||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 113||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 112||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 112||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 111||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 111||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 110||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 110||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 109||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 109||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 108||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 108||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 107||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 107||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
|Box 106||Notated music||Supervised use||JPB 93-4 Box 106||Performing Arts Research Collections - Music|
- Additional Authors
- 31.25 linear feet (125 boxes)
- Most of the of the music in the David Belasco Collection of Incidental Music and Musicals is incidental music for plays. During Belasco's time most plays had musical accompaniment that was needed for overtures, scene changes, underscoring of melodramatic or climactic moments and for occasional songs. Scores are infrequently found for this material; nearly all of it is written in parts. On occasion, orchestra leaders (often the first violinist) created a cue sheet listing the musical sequences (sometimes with their verbal cues from the play) which would serve as a guide for what music to use during a particular sequence. A few of these exist in the collection. At times the first violin part doubles as a cue sheet, containing not only the violin part but also indicating cues and entrances for the orchestra.
- There are a number of scores to musicals in Belasco's collection which are not associated with his career. Their existence in his collection might have been the result of contractual or other professional obligations, or Belasco might have inherited works from others' music libraries, which was an occasional practice. Among the musicals are materials for Adele by Jean Briquet, Aphrodite by Henri Fevrier and Anselm Goetzl, The little café by Ivan Caryll, Miss Helyett by Edmond Audran, and parts for an early touring production of No, No, Nanette by Vincent Youmans. Also contained within the collection are a number of materials from shows or burlesques produced by the comedy team of Joe Weber and Lew Fields, composed by John Stromberg with lyrics by Edgar Smith . These include The big little princess, The college widower, The con-curers, Fiddle-dee-dee, Pousse-Café, Quo vass iss, and Whoop-de-doo.
- Alternative Title
- Belasco collection
- Copyists' manuscripts in ink and pencil.
- Includes music for plays written, directed and/or produced by David Belasco ; some material unidentified.
- Chiefly instrumental parts ; includes some piano-conductor parts and vocal scores.
- The girl of the golden west cataloged separately: JPB 82-38; Madame Butterfly cataloged separately in JPB 82-37.
- Call Number
- JPB 93-4
- Belasco, David, 1853-1931, compiler.
- David Belasco collection of incidental music and musicals, ca. 1890-1931.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
- Furst, William, 1852-1917, composer.Klein, Manuel, 1876-1919, composer.Puerner, Charles, 1849-1905, composer.Stromberg, John, 853-1902, composer.
- Research Call Number
- JPB 93-4