- Additional Authors
- 19 linear feet (16 boxes, 22 volumes).
- The Levi P. Morton papers consist of correspondence, family papers, speeches, biographical materials, political memorabilia, photographs, and scrapbooks documenting the political and professional career, personal life and family background of the businessman and politician.
- Access (note)
- Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
- Biography (note)
- Levi Parsons Morton (1824-1920) was an American businessman, banker, diplomat, and statesman.
- Language (note)
- Social correspondence in French.
- Call Number
- MssCol 2070
Morton, Levi P. (Levi Parsons), 1824-1920.
Levi P. Morton papers, 1818-1920, bulk (1878-1898).
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
Levi Parsons Morton (1824-1920) was an American businessman, banker, diplomat, and statesman. He founded the banking firm of L.P. Morton & Co. in New York City. After an unsuccessful bid for Congress in 1876, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from New York in 1878. He was Minister to France from 1881 to 1885, was elected Vice-President of the U.S. under Benjamin Harison in 1888, and served as Governor of New York in 1895 and 1896. In 1899 he founded the Morton Trust Co. and retired after the company merged with Guaranty Trust.
Social correspondence in French.
- Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository and on internet: http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/rbk/faids/mortonl.pdf
- Location of Other Archival Materials
Related collections include the John Bigelow Papers and Chauncey M. Depew Papers; Manuscripts and Archives Division; New York Public Library; and the Morton, Bliss & Co. Records; New York Historical Society, New York, NY.
- Connect to:
Governors New York (State)
- Added Author
Conkling, Roscoe, 1829-1888.
Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901.
McElroy, Robert McNutt, 1872-1959.
Morton, Anna Livingston.
Morton, Lucy Kimball.
- Research Call Number