Research Catalog

Lincoln School for Nurses photograph collection

Title
Lincoln School for Nurses photograph collection [graphic].
Author
Lincoln School for Nurses.
Publication
1912-1973.
Electronic Resource
View images in NYPL Digital Collections

Items in the Library & Offsite


About 4 Items.
Still Loading More items...

Vol/DateFormatAccessStatusCall NumberLocation
Box 1Still imageUse in libraryAvailableSc Photo Lincoln School for Nurses Collection Box 1Schomburg Center - Photographs & Prints
Box 2Still imageUse in libraryAvailableSc Photo Lincoln School for Nurses Collection Box 2Schomburg Center - Photographs & Prints
Box 3Still imageUse in libraryAvailableSc Photo Lincoln School for Nurses Collection Box 3Schomburg Center - Photographs & Prints

Details

Additional Authors
Found In
c2bc Lincoln School for Nurses (New York, N.Y.) Lincoln School for Nurses records (CstRLIN)NYPW89-A139.
Description
  • 101 items (.9 cu. ft., 3 boxes); 22 x 28 cm. and smaller.
  • 101 photographic prints : &w ;
Subjects
Genre/Form
  • Group portraits – 1910-1979.
  • Gelatin silver prints – 1910-1979.
Note
  • Title created by cataloger.
  • Collection contains work by Austin Hansen, American Studio, Campbell's Studio and Woodard's Studio, among others.
Terms of Use (note)
  • Some items are under copyright; permission of the copyright holder is required for duplication.
Biography (note)
  • The Lincoln School for Nurses was founded in 1898 to provide training to black women at a time when such education was not available elsewhere.
Linking Entry (note)
  • Forms part of the Lincoln School for Nurses Records, 1840-1961.
Call Number
Sc Photo Lincoln School for Nurses Collection
Author
Lincoln School for Nurses.
Title
Lincoln School for Nurses photograph collection [graphic].
Imprint
1912-1973.
Summary
The Lincoln School for Nurses Photograph Collection depicts some of the school's graduation classes, hospital facilities, and employees and patients from the mid-1800s to 1973, mainly during the period of the 1910s to 1950s. The collection consists of group portraits of the graduating nurses, students attending a formal gathering, and students in a candid setting, as well as three individual portraits. One group portrait from 1922 is of the Head Nurses at Lincoln Hospital and Home, who may have worked both as hospital care givers and served as instructors for the nursing students. Graduating class portraits depict classes from both the Lincoln Hospital and Home (1912-1927) and the Lincoln School for Nurses (1937-1951, 1960). The class portraits document the change in nursing uniforms over a time period of nearly fifty years. Portraits from Lincoln Hospital and Home are taken on the Hospital's grounds, while portraits from the School's second site (Southern Blvd., Bronx N.Y.) are taken on the stage of an auditorium. Some of the graduating classes hold diplomas and banners with mottos, such as "Simplicity, Sincerity, Service," other banners are in latin. Neither the individual students nor the type of degree awarded are identified in the group portraits.
The collection also consists of a group portrait of nursing students attending an unidentified formal event (1960); a candid shot of nursing students either standing or sitting on the steps to one of the school's entrances (1959); individual portraits of school faculty members L.G. Dennhardt and Dorothy E. Arnett (1959); and a candid portrait of an unidentified student in formal attire (1960).
The collection also depicts the facilities of Lincoln Hospital and Home, Bronx, New York, and earlier facilities at the Colored Home and Hospital (Lincoln Hospital's predecessor) in Manhattan. Included are exterior and interior views of buildings; classrooms, examination rooms and patient wards; medical staff and ambulance drivers; elderly residents of the hospital; and nurses' study area and lounge. Also included is a view of a tea and reception given on National Hospital Day (1921); a group portrait of hospital managers (ca. 1880); and a Lincoln School for Nurses reunion banquet (1973).
Linking Entry
Forms part of the Lincoln School for Nurses Records, 1840-1961.
Terms Of Use
Some items are under copyright; permission of the copyright holder is required for duplication.
Biography
The Lincoln School for Nurses was founded in 1898 to provide training to black women at a time when such education was not available elsewhere. Originally the School was affiliated with the Lincoln Hospital and Home, an institution that serviced infirm and destitute African Americans of both genders. In June 1925 the Lincoln Hospital and Home was sold to the city of New York for its use as a municipal hospital. The proceeds realized from the sale, together with certain reserved funds, were allocated for the construction of a school that was completed in 1929. To emphasize the School's changed status, the name was officially changed to the "Lincoln School for Nurses," in January 1927. The School terminated its degree program in 1961, after sixty-three years of existence.
Local Note
Sc MG 248
Connect to:
Added Author
Grant, Richard Southall. Photographer
Hansen, Austin, 1910-1996. Photographer
American Studio (New York, N.Y.)
Campbell's Studio (New York, N.Y.)
Woodard's Studio (New York, N.Y.)
Found In:
c2bc Lincoln School for Nurses (New York, N.Y.) Lincoln School for Nurses records (CstRLIN)NYPW89-A139.
Research Call Number
Sc Photo Lincoln School for Nurses Collection
View in Legacy Catalog