- Additional Authors
- American News Company.
- Bok, Edward William, 1863-1930.
- Burchfield, Charles, 1893-1967.
- Carey Printing Company.
- Century Company.
- Condé Nast Publications, inc.
- Coward-McCann Publishers.
- Crosby, Percy L. (Percy Leo), 1891-1964.
- Crowell Publishing Company.
- Doran, George H.
- Gibson, Charles Dana, 1867-1944.
- Krone, William.
- Mitchell, John Ames, 1845-1918.
- Ritcher, Henry A.
- Volland, P. V.
- 28 linear feet (30 boxes and 67 v.)
- Access (note)
- Biography (note)
- Life Magazine, Inc. was founded in New York City in 1883 by John Ames Mitchell (1845-1918). Published until October 1936, it was a popular magazine of satire, criticism, reviews, and humor which relied heavily on cartoons, sketches, illustrations, and anecdotal material. In November of 1936 a new magazine under the same title was published by Time, Inc.
- Processing Action (note)
- Call Number
- MssCol 1758
Life Magazine, Inc. (New York, N.Y.)
Life Magazine records, 1892-1936, bulk (1920-1936).
- Restricted Access
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of the records of Life Magazine, Inc. documenting all aspects of its operation and including correspondence, circulation, art and literary department records, minutes, financial records, and printed matter. Correspondence of secretary/treasurer, 1924-1936, is with advertisers, publishers, distributors, printers, illustrators, and cartoonists. Permissions correspondence, 1932-1936, concerns requests by organizations and persons to reprint copyrighted materials. Contracts and agreements series, 1896-1936, reflects the purchase and sale of artistic and literary properties, copyright matters and foreign reproduction rights. Circulation department series consists of audit reports of circulation statistics and records of issues returned. Art department records include scrapbooks of cartoons and process books, 1908-1936, with information about plate manufacture and design. Literary department series contains manuscripts, typescripts of poems, articles and humorous materials accepted by Life and records of manuscripts submitted to the magazine from 1911 to 1936. Also, minutes, 1892-1936, of the board of directors and stockholders; financial records, 1892-1936, including vouchers, journals and other accounts; and printed matter such as issues of Life and books containing art work published in the magazine.
Life Magazine, Inc. was founded in New York City in 1883 by John Ames Mitchell (1845-1918). Published until October 1936, it was a popular magazine of satire, criticism, reviews, and humor which relied heavily on cartoons, sketches, illustrations, and anecdotal material. In November of 1936 a new magazine under the same title was published by Time, Inc.
- Finding Aids
Collection guide available in repository and on internet.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Bok, Edward William, 1863-1930.
Burchfield, Charles, 1893-1967.
Crosby, Percy L. (Percy Leo), 1891-1964.
Doran, George H.
Gibson, Charles Dana, 1867-1944.
Mitchell, John Ames, 1845-1918.
Ritcher, Henry A.
Volland, P. V.
American News Company.
Carey Printing Company.
Condé Nast Publications, inc.
Crowell Publishing Company.
- Research Call Number