Research Catalog

Lincoln School for Nurses collection,

Title
Lincoln School for Nurses collection, 1840-2011.
Author
Lincoln School for Nurses.
Supplementary Content
Finding aid

Items in the Library & Off-site


About 4 Items.
Still Loading More items...

StatusVol/DateFormatAccessCall NumberItem Location
Box 1Mixed materialUse in library Sc MG 248 Box 1Schomburg Center - Manuscripts & Archives
Box 2Mixed materialUse in library Sc MG 248 Box 2Schomburg Center - Manuscripts & Archives
Box 3Mixed materialUse in library Sc MG 248 Box 3Schomburg Center - Manuscripts & Archives
Box 4Mixed materialUse in library Sc MG 248 Box 4Schomburg Center - Manuscripts & Archives

Details

Description
2.2 lin. ft.
Subjects
Note
  • Photographs transferred to Photographs and Prints Division.
  • Film transferred to Moving Image and Recorded Sound Division.
  • Artifacts transferred to Art and Artifacts Division.
Source (note)
  • Lincoln Fund
  • Ivy N. Tinkler
  • Ivy N. Tinkler, Janice M. Gray
Biography (note)
  • The Lincoln School for Nurses, a privately endowed institution, was founded in 1898 in the Bronx to train black women to become nurses at a time when this kind of education was not available elsewhere. It was the first school of its type in the United States. The Lincoln School was located on the site of the Society for the Relief of Worthy Indigent Colored Persons, which began operation in 1839. In 1902 its name was changed to Lincoln Hospital and Home, and in the 1920's it became affiliated with Lincoln Hospital, which was operated by the City of New York. The Lincoln School's first graduating class was in 1900, with a total of six graduates. The last class graduated in 1961. A total of 1,864 black women from the United States, Haiti, Bermuda, and Africa attended the Lincoln School for Nurses. The Alumnae Association was formed in 1905.
Processing Action (note)
  • Accessioned
  • Surveyed
  • Cataloging updated
  • Accessioning updated
  • Cataloging updated
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioning updated
  • Cataloging updated
  • Accessioned
  • Cataloged
Call Number
Sc MG 248
Author
Lincoln School for Nurses.
Title
Lincoln School for Nurses collection, 1840-2011.
Summary
The collection consists primarily of printed material, including several histories of Lincoln School, and incorporation papers for the School and Alumnae Association. The School is also represented by yearbooks (1931-1961), and annual reports (1906-1961 - scattered), the School newspaper entitled The Chevron and an invitation to the first graduation of 1900. Included are news bulletins and 40th anniversary commemorative journals honoring earlier classes. Of particular interest are photocopies of annual reports for the Society for the Relief of Worthy Indigent Colored Persons from 1840, 1841 and 1842.
Biography
The Lincoln School for Nurses, a privately endowed institution, was founded in 1898 in the Bronx to train black women to become nurses at a time when this kind of education was not available elsewhere. It was the first school of its type in the United States. The Lincoln School was located on the site of the Society for the Relief of Worthy Indigent Colored Persons, which began operation in 1839. In 1902 its name was changed to Lincoln Hospital and Home, and in the 1920's it became affiliated with Lincoln Hospital, which was operated by the City of New York. The Lincoln School's first graduating class was in 1900, with a total of six graduates. The last class graduated in 1961. A total of 1,864 black women from the United States, Haiti, Bermuda, and Africa attended the Lincoln School for Nurses. The Alumnae Association was formed in 1905.
Connect to:
Research Call Number
Sc MG 248
View in Legacy Catalog