Research Catalog

Howard Orphanage and Industrial School records

Title
Howard Orphanage and Industrial School records, 1898-1955 (bulk 1912-1918).
Author
Howard Memorial Fund (New York, N.Y.)
Supplementary Content
Finding aid

Items in the Library & Offsite


About 22 Items.
Still Loading More items...

Vol/DateFormatAccessStatusCall NumberLocation
Box 1Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 1Offsite
Box 2Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 2Offsite
Box 3Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 3Offsite
Box 4Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 4Offsite
Box 5Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 5Offsite
Box 6Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 6Offsite
Box 7Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 7Offsite
Box 8Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 8Offsite
Box 9Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 9Offsite
Box 10Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 10Offsite
Box 11Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 11Offsite
Box 12Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 12Offsite
Box 13Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 13Offsite
Box 14Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 14Offsite
Box 15Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 15Offsite
Box 16Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 16Offsite
Box 17Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 17Offsite
Box 18Mixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 18Offsite
Box 19AMixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 19AOffsite
Box 19BMixed materialRequest in advanceAvailableSc MG 126 Box 19BOffsite

Details

Additional Authors
Description
15.2 lin. ft. (13 RC's, I AB, 5 print-boxes)
Subjects
Note
  • Photographs and glass negatives transferred to Photographs and Prints Division.
Source (note)
  • Howard Memorial Fund
Biography (note)
  • Originally called the Brooklyn Howard Colored Orphan Asylum, the Howard Orphanage and Industrial School was founded (1868) and operated by African Americans, unlike other orphanages that cared for destitute black children. In 1911 the Howard Orphanage purchased a farm on Long Island, closed the Brooklyn facility, and moved 250 boys and girls there. The children were taught practical skills, and were "placed out" with individual families when they reached the age of sixteen. The Orphanage was forced to close in January 1918 due to the severe winter that caused the water pipes to freeze, resulting in two children having to have their feet amputated. Following the foreclosure on the mortgage, the trustees of the orphanage used the financial contributions, which individuals continued to send, for the education of needy black students in Brooklyn high schools. The organization was renamed the Howard Memorial Fund in 1956.
Call Number
Sc MG 126
OCLC
144652167
Author
Howard Memorial Fund (New York, N.Y.)
Title
Howard Orphanage and Industrial School records, 1898-1955 (bulk 1912-1918).
Summary
The Howard Orphanage and Industrial School records consist principally of administrative records dealing with fund raising and financial matters. The majority of the Administration series is correspondence from the office of President L. Hollingsworth Wood, primarily with other members of the board of managers, i.e., James H. Gordon and Mary Gordon, and J. H. N. Waring, superintendents; and Mansfield B. Snevily, treasurer, regarding the operation of the Orphanage and the purchase of supplies. Other correspondence is with insurance companies and creditors. Wood's general correspondence includes letters from guardians and other adults who wanted to place children in the Orphanage, and also concerns day-to-day issues. Files pertaining to the closure of the Orphanage, statements by staff, and the selling of property and equipment to pay off debts also appear in this series.
A few ledgers list the names and other pertinent information about the children, and there are files concerning the employment of the adolescents. Additional records pertain to the farm, the property and the staff. Some printed material as well as printers' blocks used for the publications of the Orphanage are also included in the collection.
Biography
Originally called the Brooklyn Howard Colored Orphan Asylum, the Howard Orphanage and Industrial School was founded (1868) and operated by African Americans, unlike other orphanages that cared for destitute black children. In 1911 the Howard Orphanage purchased a farm on Long Island, closed the Brooklyn facility, and moved 250 boys and girls there. The children were taught practical skills, and were "placed out" with individual families when they reached the age of sixteen. The Orphanage was forced to close in January 1918 due to the severe winter that caused the water pipes to freeze, resulting in two children having to have their feet amputated. Following the foreclosure on the mortgage, the trustees of the orphanage used the financial contributions, which individuals continued to send, for the education of needy black students in Brooklyn high schools. The organization was renamed the Howard Memorial Fund in 1956.
Source
SCM 78-24
Howard Memorial Fund Gift 1977
Connect to:
Added Author
Gordon, James H.
Gordon, Mary J.
Waring, J. H. N.
Snevily, Mansfield B.
Research Call Number
Sc MG 126
View in Legacy Catalog