- Additional Authors
- xii, 378 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, maps; 23 cm.
- Home to Harlem Project funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- With a half-title page.
- Includes index.
- "Printed by Spottiswoode and Co. Ltd., New-Street Square London."--colophon, page 378.
- Provenance (note)
- is part of the original collection purchased from Arthur A. Schomburg in 1926.
- From the city of fog to an island of eternal summer -- Seventy years ago -- Barbados -- The inland cliff and the sea beaches -- George Washington and another at Barbados -- The islanders -- The planters and the poor whites -- The day when the sun stood still -- A mysterious ship -- Trinidad -- Holy Island and the fort in the wood -- St. Joseph -- El Dorado -- The high woods -- The first West Indian tourist -- The pitch lake -- The Bocas -- The five islands -- A glance at the map -- Grenada -- The fair Helen of the West Indies -- Cul de Sac Bay -- The Morne fortuné -- Castries and its people -- The song of Casimir Delavigne -- Martinique -- "No Flint" Grey and the stone ship -- The city that was -- The last night in St. Pierre -- The shadow of the mountain -- Dominica -- Victorine and her forefathers -- The battle of the Saints Passage -- St. Kitts -- St. Kitts in all its glory -- Strange wares -- The little captain of the "Boreas" -- The environs of St. Kitts -- Saba the astonishing -- St. Thomas -- Memoirs of Edward Teach, mariner -- A habour entry -- The man with a glove in his hat -- The San Juan of to-day -- The White House -- Mona the Protestant -- The island of misrule -- A city out at elbows -- The tomb of Columbus -- Drake at San Domingo -- The buccaneers -- "Our well beloved" -- On the way to Jamaica -- Spanish Town -- Kingston in ruins -- A record of ten seconds -- Admiral John Benbow -- Port Royal as it was -- Port Royal as it is -- Tom Bowling's chantry -- Colon -- The Gold Road -- Some who followed the Gold Road -- Over the isthmus to Panama -- Morgan's raid -- Old Panama -- "Grog's" victory -- How Drake wrestled with the shadow -- Cartagena Harbour -- The city of Cartagena -- Off to the front -- The Sargasso Sea -- The vanishing island and the giant who died twice -- "The sough of an old song" -- Index.
- Call Number
- Sc 917.29-T (Treves, F. Cradle of the deep. 1908)
Treves, Frederick, 1853-1923, author.
The cradle of the deep : an account of a voyage to the West Indies / by Sir Frederick Treves ; with 54 illustrations from photographs by the author and 4 maps.
New York : E.P. Dutton & Company, 31 West Twenty-Third Street, 1908.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Copy in Sc 917.29-T (accession no. B497992) is part of the original collection purchased from Arthur A. Schomburg in 1926. NN
- Connect to:
- Added Author
E.P. Dutton (Firm), publisher.
Spottiswoode & Co., printer.
Schomburg, Arthur Alfonso, 1874-1938, former owner.
- Added Title
Home to Harlem Project funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Research Call Number
Sc 917.29-T (Treves, F. Cradle of the deep. 1908)