Research Catalog

Councils' records

Title
Councils' records, 1949-
Author
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees.

Details

Found In
(CStRLIN)NYPW92-A125
Description
.2 cubic foot.
Subjects
Access (note)
  • Board of Trustees records are closed for 50 years from time of creation.
Terms of Use (note)
  • All rights reserved. Permission to quote must be obtained in writing from the New York Public Library.
Biography (note)
  • The Councils of the New York Public Library are groups of citizens who work closely with the Board of Trustees to promote knowledge of and support for the Library. The first council to be created by the Board, in 1949, was the Women's Council, now called the Council. Membership in it is by invitation of its own executive committee and numbered about 500 in the late 1960s. In 1975 membership was extended to men, occasioning the group's change of name. The Council organizes library tours and lectures for its members and was involved in the restoration of the Central Building. The other councils are: the Advisory Council established by the Board in the 1970s to provide assistance with fund raising, and the Branch Library Council which generates support for the Branch Libraries and their programs.
Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
  • Unpublished finding aid available at repository.
Linking Entry (note)
  • The history of the Board of Trustees is described separately.
Processing Action (note)
  • Accessioned
Call Number
MssArc 5636
Author
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees.
Title
Councils' records, 1949-
Summary
Records consist of memoranda, program announcements, and related materials pertaining to the activities of The Council, the Advisory Council and the Branch Library Council.
Access
Board of Trustees records are closed for 50 years from time of creation.
Terms Of Use
All rights reserved. Permission to quote must be obtained in writing from the New York Public Library.
Biography
The Councils of the New York Public Library are groups of citizens who work closely with the Board of Trustees to promote knowledge of and support for the Library. The first council to be created by the Board, in 1949, was the Women's Council, now called the Council. Membership in it is by invitation of its own executive committee and numbered about 500 in the late 1960s. In 1975 membership was extended to men, occasioning the group's change of name. The Council organizes library tours and lectures for its members and was involved in the restoration of the Central Building. The other councils are: the Advisory Council established by the Board in the 1970s to provide assistance with fund raising, and the Branch Library Council which generates support for the Branch Libraries and their programs.
Indexes
Unpublished finding aid available at repository.
Linking Entry
The history of the Board of Trustees is described separately.
Found In:
(CStRLIN)NYPW92-A125
Research Call Number
MssArc 5636
RG 5
View in Legacy Catalog