- Additional Authors
- Stieglitz, Alfred, 1864-1946.
- Meyer, Agnes Elizabeth Ernst, 1887-
- Haviland, Paul Burty, 1880-1950.
- Rhoades, Katharine N., 1885-1965.
- Zayas, Marius de.
- Steichen, Edward, 1879-1973.
- Picabia, Francis, 1879-1953.
- Walkowitz, Abraham, 1880-1965.
- Marin, John, 1870-1953.
- "291" (Gallery)
- Publication Date
- No. 1 (Mar. 1915)-no. 12 (Feb. 1916)
- 12 v. in 9 : ill. (some col.); 44-49 cm.
- Elaine Lustig Cohen Dada Collection ; 111.
- Alternative Title
- Two ninety-one
- Two hundred ninety-one
- Edited by Alfred Stieglitz.
- Includes texts in English and/or French by Agnes Ernst Meyer, Guillaume Apollinaire, Stieglitz, Paul B. Haviland, Katherine Rhoades, Alberto Savinio, Marius de Zayas, George Ribemont-Dessaignes, Max Jacob and Francis Picabia.
- No. 10-11 printed on double leaves.
- Ill. include reproductions of drawings by Zayas, Pablo Picasso, Edward Steichen, Picabia, Rhoades, A. Walkowitz, John Marin and Georges Braque; several with color elements applied by hand or stencil by the artists. For discussion, cf. Ades, p. 33-36.
- "The steerage" (mounted photogravure after a photo. by Stieglitz): no. 7/8, p. .
- Indexed In (note)
- Ades, D. Dada and surrealism reviewed,
- Reproduction (note)
- Call Number
New York : "291,", 1915-1916.
- Current Frequency
Monthly (nos. 5-6, 7-8, 10-11 combined)
Microfilm. No. 1 (Mar. 1915)-no. 12 (Feb. 1916). 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (MN *ZZAN-5443)
- Indexed In:
Ades, D. Dada and surrealism reviewed, 2.46 and p. 42-43
- Local Note
Spencer Coll. copy includes sheet: "'291' announces the opening of the Modern Gallery, 500 Fifth Ave., New York, on October 7th, 1915 ... The work of '291' will be continued at 291 Fifth Avenue in the same spirit and manner as heretofore ..."
Copy in MFY++: Each leaf encapsulated in Mylar.
Copy in MFY++: Imperfect: some leaves incomplete.
Copy in Spencer Coll.: 2 copies of no. 4, one on ordinary paper, one on Japan vellum. Latter is inscribed on p.  in pencil from Stieglitz to De Hirsh Margules, "in remembrance of the days in the Room (303), May 28, 29."
Copy in Spencer Coll.: Bound in 1 v., in red buckram; in red buckram slipcase. No. 3 is incorrectly bound, so that the double-page print appears on the recto of the first leaf and the verso of the second leaf.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Stieglitz, Alfred, 1864-1946.
Meyer, Agnes Elizabeth Ernst, 1887-
Haviland, Paul Burty, 1880-1950.
Rhoades, Katharine N., 1885-1965.
Zayas, Marius de.
Steichen, Edward, 1879-1973.
Picabia, Francis, 1879-1953.
Walkowitz, Abraham, 1880-1965.
Marin, John, 1870-1953.
Margules, De Hirsh, 1899-1965. Former owner
- Added Title
Two hundred ninety-one
Elaine Lustig Cohen Dada Collection ; 111.
- Research Call Number
*ZAN-3074 [Microfilm] Library has: No. 1-12 (Mar. 1915-Feb. 1916)
MFY++ 77-1777 [Text] Library has: No. 1-12 (Mar. 1915-Feb. 1916)
Spencer Coll. Amer. 1916 01-647 [Text] Library has: No. 1-12 (Mar. 1915-Feb. 1916)