The New York Public Library Desk Reference, 4th edition
"A veritable research goldmine…"
— New York magazine (praise for earlier editions)
In today's fast-paced world, where do you turn for answers when you are not at your computer? To The New York Public Library Desk Reference, the ultimate one-volume resource for quick answers to all your questions. For over 12 years, the Desk Reference has been the home reference of choice for thousands of users. Now it's back in a fourth edition that is as comprehensive and easy-to-use as ever. Fully updated with more than 1,000 pages, including an all-new atlas and index, The New York Public Library Desk Reference is packed with answers to the most frequently asked questions, as well as easy-to-read charts, graphs, tables, insightful sidebars, maps, and illustrations, plus cross-references and web addresses to aid more in-depth research. This is the only reference guide you'll need on your shelf.
Here's just a taste of what awaits you:
- In THE PHYSICAL WORLD: Perpetual Calendar, Holidays in Europe and Asia, Troy vs. Avoirdupois Ounces, Training a Pet and Animal First Aid, Solar and Lunar Eclipse Dates, Chemistry Symbols, Figuring Out Wind Chill (according to the new method), History of the Internet, the Paradox of Schrodinger's Cat
- In THE WAY WE COMMUNICATE: Medical Symbols, Sign Language and Braille, Semaphore and Morse Code, Commonly Misspelled Words, How to Use Quotation Marks in Dialogue, How to Address an Attorney General or an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
- In DAILY LIFE: Seating at a Rehearsal Dinner, Poisoning Hotlines, RDAs, Ten Leading Causes of Death, Immunization and Flu Shots, Stain Removal, How to Store Coffee, Standard Building Material Sizes, Definition of an Annuity, The Statute of Limitations, Copyright Law, Blank Legal Forms
- In RECREATION: World Cup, Kentucky Derby, and Super Bowl Winners, Brief Sports Biographies, the Most Landed-On Spaces in Monopoly, the Rules of Pinochle, the Layout and Measurements of a Basketball Court
- In THE POLITICAL WORLD: Flag Care and Display, Immigration Figures, Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, The Peerage of Great Britain, UN Organizational Chart, Population of Major World Cities
…and much, much more.
From the serious to the trivial, the most commonly sought information--usually available only in dozens of individual books and reference sources--can readily be found in this single comprehensive and accessible guide.
1 015 pages. Published by Hyperion, 2002.
Hardcover. $34.95. ISBN 0-7868-6846-5.