The New York Public Library Amazing Scientists
In this entry in this series, Jim Callan introduces young readers to the findings of some of the world's greatest scientists. Discover the moons of Jupiter with Galileo. Uncover the science of radiation with Madame Curie. Travel forward in time with Einstein. Find out how scientists learned to cure diseases, how they discovered gravity, and how they determined the structure of the atom.
- What is the Hippocratic Oath?
- How did Archimedes single-handedly hold off the entire Roman army?
- Which famous physician learned about human anatomy in a gladiator ring?
- What is natural selection?
- What was the worst disease of all time?
- Who discovered over 300 uses for peanuts?
- Which founder of chemistry died by the guillotine in the French Revolution?
- What Nobel Prize-winning physicist escaped the Nazis in 1933?
These are just a few of the questions answered in this engrossing book, featuring photographs, other illustrations, diagrams, and a host of interesting facts about the men and women who made history with their scientific discoveries.
172 pages, illustrated. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
Hardcover. $12.95. ISBN 0-471-39289-X.