Industry Guides: Cosmetics
- How do I find industry information for cosmetics?
- How do I find out about technologies related to cosmetics?
[Dictionaries and Encyclopedias] [Handbooks]
- What are regulations & standards that I have to follow for the cosmetics industry?
- How do I find manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, competitors and other related professionals in the cosmetics industry?
[Associations] [Tradeshows] [Directories]
- How can I keep current with the latest information in the cosmetics industry?
[Electronic Databases] [Websites]
|Industry Information/Data||Source Title||Location of Source|
|General overview: Toiletries & Cosmetics||Encyclopedia of Global Industries
Encyclopedia of American Industries
|Gale Virtual Reference Library (Available outside the library with a library card)|
|History, projections, leading companies, and analyses of Drugs & druggists wholesalers; cosmetics stores (NAICs 422210, 446120)||Manufacturing & Distribution USA||Gale Virtual Reference Library (Available outside the library with a library card)|
|Market research reports for U.S. and international markets in cosmetics & personal care||IBISWorld Plunckett Research Online||EIC Databases|
|Financial and operating data/ratios for companies in Personal Services||Mergent’s Industry Review||Financial Services [Archive at JBM 99-889]|
|Industry profile, current environment, market trends, and outlook||First Research [also Mergent and Hoovers Industry Reports]||EIC Database|
|Industry survey and monthly investment review: Household Products||Standard & Poor’s Industry Survey||Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage - EIC database|
|1- page industry analysis/investment advice on Toiletries/Cosmetics||Value Line Investment Survey - Industry Reports||Value Line - EIC Database|
How do I find out definitions, descriptions and technical data for technologies related to cosmetics?
- A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients | *R-SIBL TP983.A55 .W57 [Newer edition]
- Encyclopedia of common natural ingredients used in food, drugs, and cosmetics | *R-SIBL QD415.A25 L48 2010 [available electronically through Credo database]
- International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook | *R-SIBL TP983 .I58
- Poucher's Perfumes, cosmetics, and soaps | *R-SIBL TP983 .P723
- Raw Materials of Perfumery | JSE 06-1362 (offsite)
- The Chemistry of Fragrances: From Perfumer to Consumer | JSE 07-29
- Cosmetic Bench Reference | JSP 91-349 [Online as Cosmetics and Toiletries: Science Applied]
- The H & R Book of Perfume ... | *R-SIBL TP983 .Z5 H23 1992 [NOS]
- International Cosmetic Ingredient Handbook | *R-SIBL TP983 .C953
- New Perfume Handbook | *R-SIBL TP983.G75 [B. Altman Reference Desk]
- A.S.T.M. (American Society for Testing Materials) Standards | JSM 95-45
- Colour Index (Society of Dyers and Colourists) | *R-SIBL TP910 .S622
- Cosmetic Regulation in a Competitive Environment | KF3896 .C88 [Offsite]
- A formulary of cosmetic preparations (1991) | JSN 95-92 Vol. 1-2
- Index and directory of industry standards | JSP 89-288 [Offsite]
How do I find manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, competitors and other related professionals in the cosmetics industry?
- Encyclopedia of Associations | Available with a library card in Gale Directory Library (Three titles: International Organizations; National Organizations of the U.S.; and Regional, State and Local Organizations of the U.S.)
- National Trade and Professional Associations of the United States | *R-SIBL HD2425 .D53 [Latest at B. Altman Reference Desk]
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS) www.aocs.org
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review (sponsored by the Personal Care Products Council) www.cir-safety.org
- Cosmetics Europe (formerly called European Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association)
- Fragrance Foundation www.fragrance.org
- Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors: www.icmad.org
- International Fragrance Association (IFRA) http://www.ifraorg.org
- New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists www.nyscc.org
- Personal Care Products Council
- Society of Cosmetic Scientists: http://www.scs.org.uk/
- Billboard AudArena ... International Guide | *R-SIBL NA6815.A9
- Directory of Business Information Resources | *R-SIBL HD2425.D46 (B. Altman Reference Desk)
- Expocentral.com (http://www.expocentral.com) Trade shows, fairs, exhibitions & conferences info.
- Tradeshows Worldwide | Available with a library card in Gale Directory Library
- TSNN.com - The Ultimate Tradeshow Resource (http://www.tsnn.com/)
- The Green Book | *R-SIBL HD9999.B251 A44
- International Directory of Importers. Worldwide Beauty Supplies, Cosmetics & Toiletries Importing Firms | *R-SIBL HD9970.5.C67.I5
- Private Label ... Directory and Buyer's Guide | *R-SIBL HD9999.L173.U67
- Business Insights Essentials (available in the EIC and outside the library with a library card)
- EBSCOHost (available in the EIC and outside the library with a library card)
A family of abstract and full-text databases. Relevant ones include: Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier, Masterfile Premier, Newspaper Source, Professional Development Collection.
- Gale Business Collection (available in the EIC and outside the library with a library card)
Articles. Full Text and Abstract Database. Replaces General Business File and PROMT databases in NYPL collection
- Cosmetic Index – Resources on the Web
Online source for cosmetic supplies, services, and resources.
- European Commission-Cosmetics
The site has European cosmetics legislation and related regulatory issues such as hair dyes.
- FDA Cosmetics
The FDA's web information on cosmetics including ingredients, labeling, regulations and international activities.
- Soap & Cosmetics on the Web
The online site of the magazine Soap & Cosmetics has a searchable database of their archives, buyers' guide, and conference calendar.
Revised 5/2016 KJ