The Library After Hours: Halloween Masquerade 2019 Costume Contest Official Rules
No Purchase Necessary to Enter or Win. Purchase does not increase the chances of winning. Entry into this Contest constitutes your acceptance of these Official Rules.
1. Eligibility: The NYPL Library After Hours Halloween Masquerade Costume Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 21 years or older as of the date of entry. Employees of The New York Public Library (“Sponsor”), its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their family/household members (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents) are not eligible to enter. This contest is void outside the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. All federal, state and/or local rules and regulations apply.
2. How to Enter: To enter, eligible individuals or groups (“Contestants”) must attend the Library After Hours Halloween Masquerade on October 25, 2019 which begins at 7:00PM and will take place at The New York Public Library, 476 Fifth Avenue. Entry tickets will be given out beginning at 7:30pm to Contestants who are dressed in costumes that are inspired by a book or author and comply with the below restrictions. Group costumes will be considered as a single Contestant, and therefore receive a single ticket. Only up to the first seventy-five Contestants who receive a ticket will be entered into the contest.
By entering the Contest, Contestants represent that they have complied with the Contest guidelines and restrictions as specified herein. Multiple entries are prohibited. Only one Contestant per entry is permitted. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
3. Contest Submission: Eligible individuals and groups must wear a Halloween Costume (the “Submission”) that meets the following requirements: (i) the costume must be inspired by a book or author; (ii) contestants must be wearing the Halloween Costume at the time of joining the parade line; (iii) the Submission must be free from violence, obscenities and illegalities, may not include sharp objects and (iv) the Submission must accompany an NYPL contest entry ticket. Only those entries and Submissions meeting all the requirements will be eligible for judging.
For security reasons, masks covering the entire face or head may not be worn until after attendees have entered the Library. Any props that can be construed as weapons will not be allowed into the building.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria: (i) creativity (ii) originality and (iii) effort. Three winners will be chosen, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements. Each criterion will be weighted equally. Three alternate winners will also be chosen based on the same criteria in the event that the winners are unavailable, not eligible or disqualified.
The judge(s) will be two New York Public Library librarians and Tim Gunn (the “Judge(s)”). Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the terms of these Official Rules, the eligible contestants who best fulfill the criteria, as determined by the Judges, will be declared the official winners of the Contest (the “Winners”). All costs, creation and entry of the costume are the responsibility of the Contestants. Any costume that, in the opinion of the Sponsor(s) or Judges(s), is inappropriate or offensive will be disqualified.
In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-submitted to the Judges for a re-judging between the tied entries alone based on the above mentioned criteria. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score in the creativity criteria will be declared the winner.
4. Start/End Date: The registration for the Contest begins at 7:30PM Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on Friday, October 25, 2019 and ends when up to seventy-five contest registration tickets have been distributed on the event date (the “Contest Registration Period”). Entries received outside the Contest Registration Period are void. All entries must be received by Sponsor before the end of the Contest Registration Period.
The Contest will begin at approximately 8:50PM EST in the Northern Corridor of the first floor. The contestants will gather for a pre-parade judging, where twenty-five semi-finalists will be selected to join the parade. The twenty-five semi-finalists will begin the parade in Astor Hall at approximately 9:25PM. Five finalists will be selected to parade again, and may be asked to explain their costume. It will end when winners are announced at approximately 9:50PM EST (“Contest Period”). Winners will be announced in Astor Hall.
5. Prizes & Approximate Retail Value: There will be twenty five semi-finalists selected. From the twenty-five semi-finalists, five finalists will be chosen. From the five finalists, three winners will be chosen to receive prizes. The following prizes will be awarded:
The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive a selfie with Tim Gunn and a ribbon (valued at approximately $1). Limit one prize per Contestant.
Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize for one of equal or greater value in Sponsor’s sole discretion, if a Prize should become unavailable for any reason. Upon fulfilling prize, Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to the Winner and such Winner assumes full responsibility for the prize.
6. Winner Notification/Requirements: Each potential Prize winner will be notified in person on Friday, October 25th during the Library After Hours Halloween Masquerade Event. Winners will be announced at approximately 9:50PM in Astor Hall. The winner(s) will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where lawful, a Publicity Release on the day of the event.
If a Winner (i) is not present at the time that Winners are announced; (ii) rejects his/her prize or (ii) does not comply with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from one of the three alternates selected during the Contest. Winner(s) must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Winning and awarding of the Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements.
Failure to comply with these requirements or disqualification of any potential winner for any reason may result in forfeiture of Prize, in which case the Judge(s) will select an alternate winner from one of the three alternates selected. The alternate with the next highest score will be the winner. If, after selection of three (3) consecutive alternate potential winners, no alternate winner qualifies to receive the Prize, then the Prize will remain un-awarded.
Upon Prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
7. Conditions: Sponsor will have right to photograph winner(s). Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s name, picture, likeness, and city and state of residence for purposes of trade, publicity or promotion for no additional compensation except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants, winner(s) agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotions agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost of expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of way, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
8. Miscellaneous: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including unauthorized intervention or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right to permanently disqualify any person it believes has intentionally violated these Official Rules.
To obtain a list of winners email email@example.com after October 25, 2019.
The Sponsor for of this contest is The New York Public Library