BNY Mellon Pre-Professional Development Program
College and Graduate Students: Apply to be a Pre-Professional in the BNY Mellon Pre-Professional Development Program!
Each fall, spring, and summer, up to eight college and graduate students will be selected to participate in the BNY Mellon Pre-Professional Development Program. The program aims to facilitate transitions to full-time positions at a broad range of institutions and businesses that seek smart, culturally competent, and well-balanced professionals whose experiences are perfectly suited for the fast-paced challenges of the information age.
The program offers Pre-Professionals three key benefits:
- Workforce training. Through direct engagement in the daily operations of the Schomburg Center, Pre-Professionals augment their institutional knowledge and establish professional networks.
- Ongoing mentorship. Pre-Professionals participate in collective training activities, including an orientation and two workshops each term. They also regularly meet one-on-one with their supervisors, who double as mentors.
- Competitive compensation. At the core of the program is a commitment to providing competitive wages that will offset educational and living expenses. Pre-Professionals gain valuable work experience while earning essential incomes.
Reflecting the breadth of resources and services at the Schomburg Center, the program hires Pre-Professionals across seven unique areas of specialization:
- Collections Pre-Professional
- Communications and Social Media Pre-Professional
- Education Pre-Professional
- Executive Pre-Professional
- Library Pre-Professional
- Public Programming
- Special Events Programming Pre-Professional
Pre-Professional positions are renewable for up to one term.
“My mentor immediately immersed me in the events that were taking place. Her passion and attention to detail fuel my desire to do better and learn more.” “I’m working in one of the largest public library systems and gaining experience by the minute. It’s been great!” “I cannot say enough how proud I am to be a Pre-Professional at the Schomburg, a research center where the histories and experiences of black people are voiced all year round.”
Visit the NYPL’s Careers website one to two months before the beginning of the term.
Terms begin in late August, early January, and early June.
The BNY Mellon Pre-Professional Development Program is made possible through the generous support of BNY Mellon.