Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation
This page has been archived. It is no longer updated.

NYPL, Small Business Articles


Articles re: Small Business Issues

From the 34th St. Partnership's weekly Mid-City News, July 5, 2005:

A reminder about business regulations

Make sure your business is in compliance with City and State law. The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) invites all business owners in the 34th Street and Bryant Park BIDs to carefully check over this snapshot of key rules.

- Your refund policy should be posted by the cash register, where customers can read it without difficulty. It needs to explain all the details that limit a return, including time limits and required photo ID.

- Be sure your business name, address, license number (where applicable), and the customer's itemized purchases appear on all receipts. A receipt must be provided for any sale of $20 or more, and upon request for any sale between $5 and up to $20.

- Your business may need a license. DCA licenses 55 types of small businesses, including home improvement contractors, electronic stores, dealers of second hand items, and more. Contact DCA to see if your business requires a license. If you do, the license must be posted in a place that's visible to customers. You can download an application form from