NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- On Wednesday November 2, 2016 the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] and Pace University's Small Business Development Center are launching a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM] per month. Registration is required.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Start-Up NY—New York State Empire Development is creating tax free zones across the state for new and expanding businesses.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- SCORE is presenting a morning seminar - Digital Marketing Master Class - the first of five scheduled sessions on internet marketing and eCommerce on Saturday January 14, 2017 from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- Participate in SCORE's morning seminar Accounting and Finance Basics for Entrepreneurs on Tuesday January 17, 2017 from 10:15 AM - 3:00 PM.
- The Libray's five part Business Boost: Social Media Marketing Series launches on Wednesday January 18, 2017 with a evening seminar Social Media Marketing: Planning for a "New Year" of Business! The seminar is scheduled from 6:00 PM -7:30 PM.
- The first training workshop for The Library's New York StartUP! 2017 Business Plan Competition is scheduled for Thursday January 19, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM. This workshop will be offered twice more in January 2017.
- The first training workshop for The Library's New York StartUP! 2017 Business Plan Competition is scheduled for Saturday January 21, 2017 from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM. This workshop will be offered once more in January 2017.
- The first training workshop for The Library's New York StartUP! 2017 Business Plan Competition will be offered for the final time on Tuesday January 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Learn how to understand a company's financial statements at a evening seminar Fun with Financial Statements on Tuesday January 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- SCORE invites you to participate in a morning seminar How to Start a Nonprofit Business: a Practical Guide on Wednesday January 25, 2017 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Need help determining which type of business entity is best for your new or existing business? Attend a FREE evening seminar Business Legal Structures - the first in a three-part series IRS Small Business Tax Workshops - on Wednesday January 25, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture invites you to attend its Fifth Annual Black Comic Book Festival on Friday-Saturday January 13-January 14, 2017 in Harlem.
- Volunteers are needed for The New York City Project Management Day of Service - a one day Service Outreach event where Project Managers can help solve a Project Management problem for Non-Profit organizations . The Day if Service is scheduled for Monday January 16, 2017 at Experis on Park Avenue.
- New York Women in Business [NYWIB] is presenting its next quarterly breakfast meeting - Your Network Is a Goldmine - Are You Scratching the Surface or Tapping Its Full Potential? - on Friday January 20, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Wells Fargo Bank Conference Center.
- The Better Business Bureau invites you to attend a morning seminar FASB Update: What Nonprofit Managers & Board Members Need to Know on Tuesday January 24, 2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at Scandinavia House.
- The Better Business Bureau's next BBB Charity Effectiveness Symposium - Driving Mission Through Changing Times - is scheduled for Tuesday February 28, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Baruch College School of Public Affairs.
- Planning to start a business in 2017? Then attend the BOC Women's Business Center's evening seminar Use Design Thinking to Validate Your Business Idea on Wednesday January 18, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the YWCA Brooklyn on Third Avenue.
- Join the founders of Kirrin Finch and the Fillery as they detail how to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign at an evening seminar Start Smart: Crowdfunding on Tuesday January 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM at the Brooklyn Public Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- SCORE invites you to attend a morning seminar The Road to Self-Employment: Exploring Options in Franchising on Thursday January 26, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The Queens Economic Development Corporation [QEDC] invites you to attend a FREE morning seminar Tax Boot Camp for the Self-Employed on Wednesday January 18, 2017 from 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM at Queens Borough Hall.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.