NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Meet the 2017 Business Plan Finalists
The top prize of $15,000 went to Tara Holloway, founder of All Things Fitness, a lifestyle and social fitness company that emphasizes group engagement and accountability to promote healthier lifestyles and physical activity for communities with health and weight challenges.
Alexandria Carroll received the second-place award of $10,000 for License to Drift, a business cultivating a passionate community of travelers, influencers, and partners who are invested in helping you take your ideal trip.
Noelle Minter received the third-place award of $5,000 for her Bronx-based 3rd Wind Network, an organization that supports the recently retired and helps them transition into their new lifestyle with classes and vents focused on personal growth and social connection.
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Connect with SIBL via our Small Business, Career Center, and Money Matters Facebook Videos.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
- Start Small Think Big - SSTB - is a nonprofit organization that focuses on pairing entrepreneurs ready to grow their businesses with top pro bono attorneys and financial and marketing experts. They will be offering their services at SIBL for one day every other month from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM. Complete their online application form and SSTB will contact you to schedule an appointment. Call 646-723-4053 or email email@example.com. if you have any questions.
New York City:
- In February 2018 the New York City Department of Small Business Services launched a FREE legal service - the Commercial Lease Assistance Program - to assist small businesses with commercial lease issues.
- In November 2017, NYC's Fair Workweek and Fast Food Deductions laws became effective. The laws mandate scheduling notification requirements for fast food and retail industry employers.
- New York City announces changes to the Commercial Rent Tax to provide relief for small businesses. The changes go into effect on July 1, 2018.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- WEnyc - an initiative of New York City's Department of Small Business Services - is dedicated to helping women start and grow their businesses.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
New York State:
- Planning to start a business in New York State? Visit the State's small business web portal to learn about available services and resources.
- Business Mentor NY is a FREE easy-to-use social network that allows entrepreneurs and volunteer business mentors to connect.
- Empire State Development's Small Business Hub provides assistance for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- New York State Small Business Development Centers [SBDCs] are available to assist entrepreneurs looking to start a business in New York State. Onsite and online counseling are available at locations throughout New York State.
- New York State's Paid Family Leave Program goes into effect on January 1, 2018.
- The New York State Department of Labor has filed proposed rule making to address what is commonly identified as "just-in-time," "call-in" or "on-call" scheduling. The full rule making package appeared in the November 22, 2017 issue of the State Register. The comment period ended on January 6, 2017.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
- 2016 data is now available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics' American Time Use Survey detailing the amount of time people spend doing various activities such as paid work, child care, volunteering, and socializing.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The Library's New York StartUP! Business Plan Competition launches in February 2018.
- SCORE invites you to attend a morning seminar Branding 201: How to Grow Your Brand and Business on Saturday April 21, 2018 from 11;00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- Get answers to your questions about the effects of the new tax law at SCORE's morning seminar The New Tax Law and How It Impacts Your Business on Thursday April 26, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
- SIBL's annual Financial Planning Day is scheduled for Friday April 27, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- As part of SIBL's annual Financial Planning Day a representative from the City Bar Justice Center is presenting a mid-day seminar Wills and Advance Directives on Friday April 27, 2018 from 12:30 PM - 1:45 PM.
- Join Win Sheffield at a afternoon seminar Getting Active and Passive Value from LinkedIn on Friday April 27, 2018 from 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM. This event is part of SIBL's annual Financial Planning Day
- Kristopher Carney of BNY Mellon is presenting an afternoon seminar Global Market Outlook on Friday April 27, 2018 from 4:15 PM - 5:30 PM. This event is part of SIBL's annual Financial Planning Day
- WEnyc is presenting a FREE two part seminar -WE Master Leadership: Empowering Women to Start, Operate, and Grow Their Businesses - on Thursday May 31, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM and on Thursday June 7, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
- The IDG Africa Investment Rising Roadshow Tour will be in New York City on Monday-Tuesday April 23-April 24, 2018.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center [SBDC] invites you to participate in a FREE evening seminar Business Entity Formation on Monday April 23, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- The Harlem Community Development Corporation and SCORE invite you to attend their FREE morning seminar Fund and Grow Your Business on Tuesday April 24, 2018 from 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM at the Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. State Office Building on 125th Street.
- The New York Women's Chamber of Commerce invites you to participate in a evening program Women, Wealth & Wine: A Financial Health Wellness Seminar on Wednesday April 25, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at AXA Advisors.
- Join SCORE at their afternoon seminar Quickbooks for Windows Desktop Hands-On Workshop on Thursday April 26, 2018 at Presti & Naegele.
- The next Startupalooza + Capital Workshop is scheduled for Thursday April 26, 2018 from 3:30 PM - 9:00 PM at Coalition Space Flatiron.
- WEnyc invites you to participate in a FREE morning seminar WE Master Money: Funding on Friday April 27, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM at Positive Workforce.
- SCORE's 2018 Small Business Funding Expo is scheduled for Monday April 30, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM at the Microsoft Technology Center in Times Square.
- The Small Business Administration's annual International B2B & Small Business Resource Forum is scheduled for Wednesday May 2, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ted Weiss Federal Building at 290 Broadway. Registration is capped at 800 attendees.
- Are you interested in renting a commercial space for your new business? Get answers to your questions at a Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] FREE evening seminar Commercial Lease Negotiation on Wednesday May 2, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- The annual Small Business Expo is scheduled for Thursday May 3, 2018 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- Convean: Startupalooza invites you to attend an afternoon seminar Blockchain Breakthrough II: To ICO or Not - Panel & Startup Pitching on Thursday May 3, 2018 from 3:30 PM - 9:00 PM at the Suite Project on Fifth Avenue.
- The 2018 New York State Regional MWBE Opportunities EXPO Series will be held in New York City on Friday May 25, 2018 at the CUNY Graduate Center. All events start at 8:00 AM.
- The Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] and the Excelsior Growth Fund are partnering to present a two-part FREE evening seminar Forecasting Sales Growth: a Guide to Financial Projections on Wednesday May 30, 2018 and on Wednessday June 6, 2018. Both sessions are scheduled from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
- Join the Third Avenue Business Improvement District at a FREE evening seminar Keep It Clean: Sanitation Best Practices for Small Businesses on Tuesday April 24, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Third Avenue.
- The Lehman College Small Business Development Center and SCORE invite you to participate in a morning seminar Creative Marketing on a Shoestring Budget on Wednesday April 25, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Lehman College School of Continuing and Professional Education on Bedford Park Blvd. West.
- SCORE invites you to attend a morning seminar How to Turn Ideas Into Winning Products on Monday April 23, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Public Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The Brooklyn Public Library's Financial Fair: Take Control of Your Finances in Uncertain Times is scheduled for Saturday April 28, 2018 from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM at the Brooklyn Public Libray, Balcony Conference Room on Grand Army Plaza.
- The Business Outreach Center's morning seminar How to Write a Successful Business Plan is scheduled for Saturday May 5, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the YWCA Brooklyn.
- The Business Outreach Center [BOC] is presenting a morning seminar How to Write a Successful Business Plan on Wednesday June 13, 2018 at the YWCA Brooklyn from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM..
- The New American Chamber of Commerce is holding its annual International and Multicultural Business, Homeowners, and Health Expo on Thursday June 21, 2018 from 8:30 AM - 5;00 PM at
- WEnyc is presenting a FREE morning seminar WE Master Money: Funding on Tuesday May 22, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM at the NYC Business Solutions office at the Staten Island Center.
- Celebrate the Small Business Administration's National Small Business Week from Sunday April 29 - Saturday May 5, 2018.
- The next LI Business Expo is scheduled for Thursday May 10, 2018 at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.