NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
New York City:
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
New York State:
- Planning to start a business in New York State? Visit the State's small business web portal to learn about available services and resources.
- Empire State Development's Small Business Hub provides assistance for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- New York State Small Business Development Centers [SBDCs] are available to assist entrepreneurs looking to start a business in New York State. Onsite and online counseling are available at locations throughout New York State.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
- 2016 data is now available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics' American Time Use Survey detailing the amount of time people spend doing various activities such as paid work, child care, volunteering, and socializing.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- The annual American Express Small Business Saturday is scheduled for Satirday November 25, 2017.
- Small Business Pulse
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- If you're interested in starting or expanding a retail/wholesale business then attend SCORE's mid-day seminar Establish and Build Your Retail/Wholesale Business on Tuesday October 24, 2017 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- The next presentation in SIBL's CEO Series: An Interview with David S. Rose is scheduled for Tuesday October 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM. Online registration is required.
- Join SIBL at a FREE evening seminar Careers in International Trade on Thursday October 26, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- The Financial Planning Association of New York invites you to participate in a mid-day seminar How to Structure Your Small Business for Legal Protection and Tax Savings on Saturday October 28, 2017 from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM.
- The Library invites you to participate in their next Resource and Career Fair for Entrepreneurial Performing Artists on Friday November 3, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Registration is FREE. For additional information call 212-592-7006 or email to email@example.com.
- The Library's Grand Central Branch invites you to attend their Single Stop Health Insurance Fair on Monday November 6, 2017 from 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM at SIBL. To RSVP call 212-576-0024 or 212-340-0861. You can also RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get tips and techniques on how to sell effectively at SCORE's afternoon seminar All Your Sales Questions Answered on Monday October 23, 2017 from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM at Wells Fargo Bank.
- The Small Business Administration [SBA] is partnering with Facebook, YouTube and Animoto for a special event Marketing with Video: Creating a Big Impact for Small Business on Tuesday October 24, 2017 from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Lafayette Street.
- The next Startupalooza NYC is scheduled for Tuesday October 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Join the New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development at a FREE evening seminar Introduction to Residential Property Management on Tuesday October 24, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Gold Street.
- Crain's 2017 Family Business Summit: Guiding Principles, Changing Circumstances is scheduled for Wednesday October 25, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM at The New York Athletic Club.
- The Greater New York Chamber of Commerce is hosting a morning program China [Guangxi] - US [New York} Investment Trade Promotion on Wednesday October 25, 2017 from 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM at the New York Marriott Downtown Hotel.
- SCORE's FREE annual Social Media Marketing Summit is scheduled for Thursday October 26, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at 26 Federal Plaza.
- The Harlem Community Development Corporation [Harlem CDC] invites you to attend a FREE evening seminar Trademarks and Copyrights on Thursday October 26, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. State Office Building. Photo ID is needed to enter the building. To register call 212-961-4100 or email email@example.com.
- The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development invites you to attend a FREE evening seminar Housing Maintenance and Safety Requirements on Tuesday October 31, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Gold Street.
- The Pace University Small Business Development Center and the City Bar Justice Center invite you to attend a evening seminar Commercial Lease Negotiation on Wednesday November 1, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- The French-American Chamber of Commerce is presenting a evening seminar Experiencing Beauty in the New Age: Technology and Retail on Thursday November 2, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
- The annual New York Expo and Business Conference is scheduled for Tuesday November 7, 2017 at the Jacob K. Javits Center.
- The Better Business Bureau invites you to participate in a morning seminar The Power of Partnerships: Aligning Mission and Sustainability on Tuesday November 7, 2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 PM at KPMG LLP.
- The Tory Burch Foundation is now accepting applications for its Fellows Program. The Fellowship includes: an opportunity to pitch for a $100,000 grant investment, $10,000 for business education, and a 3-day workshop at the Tory Burch headquarters in New York City. Application closing date is November 9, 2017.
- The Third Annual Barnes & Noble Mini-Maker Faire is scheduled for three Barnes & Noble Manhattan locations on Saturday-Sunday November 11-November 12, 2017.
- The Fashion Institute of Technology invites you to attend a FREE evening seminar The Active Pursuit of Shared Value through International Corporate Responsibility on Tuesday November 14, 2017 from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM at the Katie Murphy Amphitheater or online at fitnyc.edu/itm. Registration is not required; picture ID required for entry.
- The Better Business Bureau is seeking Bilingual Volunteers to assist with their next BBB Live IX: Consumer Protection Call-In Event Take Control of Your Debt [Toma Control de Tues Deudas] on Wednesday November 15, 2017.
- New York State Empire State Development invites you to participate in a three day seminar ExporTech for Fashion and Food Companies. Sessions will be held at ITAC on Maiden Lane and are scheduled for Thursday November 16, 2017, Thursday December 14, 2017, and a date in January 2018 TBD.
- Macy's is now accepting applications from woman or minority-owned companies for their Workshop at Macy's vendor retail development program. Applications are due January 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
- Brooklyn Marketing Week is scheduled for Friday-Sunday October 20- October 22, 2017 at BKLYN Commons.
- The New American Chamber of Commerce and the Small Business Administration [SBA]are presenting their next five part Small Business Boot Camp Seminar Series. The Series is presented on five Wednesdays - November 1, November 8, November 15, November 29, December 6, 2017 - at 6:00 PM on Court Street. Seating is limited. Registration is required.
- The WCBS Small Business Breakfast: The Social Media Summit is scheduled for Wednesday November 8, 2017 from 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM at The Hilton Long Island/Huntington.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership invites you to participate in their Annual Next Level Business Plan Competition. Application deadline is November 8, 2017. Finalists will be announced on December 15, 2017. The Business Plan Competition Pitch Finals are scheduled for January 25-January 26, 2018 at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.