NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Meet the 2017 Business Plan Finalists
The top prize of $15,000 went to Tara Holloway, founder of All Things Fitness, a lifestyle and social fitness company that emphasizes group engagement and accountability to promote healthier lifestyles and physical activity for communities with health and weight challenges.
Alexandria Carroll received the second-place award of $10,000 for License to Drift, a business cultivating a passionate community of travelers, influencers, and partners who are invested in helping you take your ideal trip.
Noelle Minter received the third-place award of $5,000 for her Bronx-based 3rd Wind Network, an organization that supports the recently retired and helps them transition into their new lifestyle with classes and vents focused on personal growth and social connection.
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
- Start Small Think Big - SSTB - is a nonprofit organization that focuses on pairing entrepreneurs ready to grow their businesses with top pro bono attorneys and financial and marketing experts. They will be offering their services at SIBL for one day every other month from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM. Complete their online application form and SSTB will contact you to schedule an appointment. Call 646-723-4053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. if you have any questions.
New York City:
- On February 8, 2018 the New York City Department of Small Business Services launched a FREE legal service - the Commercial Lease Assistance Program - to assist small businesses with commercial lease issues.
- On November 26, 2017, NYC's Fair Workweek and Fast Food Deductions laws became effective. The laws mandate scheduling notification requirements for fast food and retail industry employers.
- New York City announces changes to the Commercial Rent Tax to provide relief for small businesses. The changes go into effect on July 1, 2018.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- WEnyc - an initiative of New York City's Department of Small Business Services - is dedicated to helping women start and grow their businesses.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
New York State:
- Planning to start a business in New York State? Visit the State's small business web portal to learn about available services and resources.
- Business Mentor NY is a FREE easy-to-use social network that allows entrepreneurs and volunteer business mentors to connect.
- Empire State Development's Small Business Hub provides assistance for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- New York State Small Business Development Centers [SBDCs] are available to assist entrepreneurs looking to start a business in New York State. Onsite and online counseling are available at locations throughout New York State.
- New York State's Paid Family Leave Program goes into effect on January 1, 2018.
- The New York State Department of Labor has filed proposed rule making to address what is commonly identified as "just-in-time," "call-in" or "on-call" scheduling. The full rule making package appeared in the November 22, 2017 issue of the State Register. The comment period ended on January 6, 2017.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
- 2016 data is now available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics' American Time Use Survey detailing the amount of time people spend doing various activities such as paid work, child care, volunteering, and socializing.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The Library's New York StartUP! Business Plan Competition launches in February 2018.
- Applications are being accepted for The Alliance for Downtown New York's Downtown Digital Innovation Grant. The application deadline is Tuesday March 20, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
- The Library invites you to participate in the next seminar in it's Business Boost: Digital Marketing Series - Video Marketing - on Thursday March 22, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Join The Library at a evening seminar Start and Grow Your Business at The Library with IBIS World on Tuesday March 27, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Take the opportunity to speak with a HR executive at SCORE's midday seminar Human Resource Issues on Friday March 23, 2018 from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
- Learn how to update your approach to budgeting at the Better Business Bureau's morning seminar Raising Your Budgeting Game: Making the Most of Your Key Management Tool on Tuesday March 27, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at Scandinavia House.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center [SBDC] is hosting a FREE evening seminar Intellectual Property Rights for Entrepreneurs on Wednesday March 21, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- Join Startupaloozza at a evening event Blockchain Breakthroughs: Conference and Startup Pitching on Wednesday March 28, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM at Voyager HQ.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center [SBDC] invites you to participate in a FREE evening seminar Business Entity Formation on Monday April 23, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- Are you interested in renting a commercial space for your new business? Get answers to your questions at a Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] FREE evening seminar Commercial Lease Negotiation on Wednesday May 2, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- Join the New American Chamber of Commerce at their FREE Business, Real Estate, & Wealth Building Expo on Saturday March 24, 2018 from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM at the Shraton Brooklyn New York Hotel.
- Join the U.S. Commercial Service at a midday seminar Brexit Update: Implications for U.S. Exports to the U.K. and E.U. on Thursday March 22, 2018 at 12;00 PM [ET [9:00 AM PT].
- The next LI Business Expo is scheduled for Thursday May 10, 2018 at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.