NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The next Financial Planning Day @ SIBL is scheduled for Friday April 28, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- The Library invites you to participate in the launch of its first Internet Business Day: Online Marketing and Sales
Simplified on Wednesday May 10, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 7:30 PM. Registration for this FREE program is required.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts [VLA] is presenting an all day seminar Self-Defense for Writers and Fimmakers with Mark Litwak on Friday April 28, 2017 from 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
- Join the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts at a afternoon seminar Contract Basics for Artists on Tuesday May 2, 2017 from 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM at the VLA Auditorium.
- The Small Business Administration [SBA] invites you to attend its next International B2B Forum on Thursday May 4, 2017 from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ted Weiss Federal Building. Registration is required to be on the security list. To register contact Man-Li Lin at email@example.com with your name and email address.
- The New York District Export Council invites you to attend a FREE evening seminar Talking Trade @ FIT on Thursday May 4, 2017 from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- The New York District Export Council is hosting the 17th Annual International Trade Awards Breakfast on Monday May 8, 2017 from 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM at Baruch College. The Breakfast launches Word Trade Week NYC.
- TechCrunch Disrupt NYC is scheduled for Monday-Wednesday May 15 - 17, 2017 at Pier 96 on South Street.
- The 7th Annual NYC Vegetarian Food Festival is scheduled for Saturday-Sunday May 20-May 21, 2017 from 11;00 AM - 6:00 PM at the Metropolitan Pavilion.
- Join the New York District Export Council, the US Commercial Service and UPS at their next Export University: Export 101 - Introduction to Exporting on Thursday May 25, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM at the UPS Midtown East Region Headquarters. Continental Breakfast & Lunch included.
- The next 1010 WINS-Canon Maxify Printers Small Business Grant Challenge is scheduled for Wednesday June 7, 2017 from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM at the Adorama Live Theatre at 1010 WINS. Contest entry closes on Sunday May 28, 2017 at 11:59 PM ET.
- The New American Chamber of Commerce [NACC] invites you to attend a morning seminar Starting a Business at 50+ on Thursday April 27, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at 26 Court Street.
- The BOC Women's Business Center is presenting a morning seminar How to Write a Successful Business Plan on Thursday May 11, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the YWCA Brooklyn.
- Join the BOC Women's Business Center for an afternoon seminar How to Apply for a Loan with BOC Capital on Thursday May 11, 2017 from 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM at the YWCA Brooklyn.
- The BOC Women's Business Center invites you to attend a morning seminar Selling to the Government & 8(a) on Wednesday May 17, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the YWCA Brooklyn.
- The Brooklym Public Library invites you to join them for Created in Brooklyn: a Series of Photographs and Conversations with Randy Duchaine. In its fifthe year, this series continues Duchaine's conversations with Brooklyn creators on three Wednesday evenings - April 12, May 10, and June 14 - from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Park Slope Library. RSVP is required.
- Join the Business Center for New Americans at a FREE evening seminar Using Facebook and LinkedIn for Business on Wednesday April 26, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM in Jackson Heights.
- The Business Center for New Americans is presenting a FREE evening seminar Leveraging Instagram and Twitter for Your Business on Wednesday May 3, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM in Jackson Heights.
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute, the University of Albany School of Business and Syracuse University will host the 8th Annual New York Business Plan Competition on April 28, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM at SUNY Polytechnic Institute in Albany.
- The next Long Island Business Expo & Conference is scheduled for Wednesday May 3, 2017 at the Nassau Coliseum in Hempstead.
- The Small Business Administrations [SBA's} National Small Business Week is scheduled for Sunday April 30-Saturday May 6, 2017.
- NYCxDesign - New York City's official annual celebration of global design - is scheduled for May 3-24, 2017 with events scheduled in all five boroughs.
- The Tri-State VegFest is scheduled for the New Jersey Convention & Exposition Center on Saturday June 17, 2017 from 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM in Edison.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.