NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
New York City:
- On November 26, 2017, NYC's Fair Workweek and Fast Food Deductions laws became effective. The laws mandate scheduling notification requirements for fast food and retail industry employers.
- New York City announces changes to the Commercial Rent Tax to provide relief for small businesses. The changes go into effect on July 1, 2018.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- WEnyc - an initiative of New York City's Department of Small Business Services - is dedicated to helping women start and grow their businesses.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
New York State:
- Planning to start a business in New York State? Visit the State's small business web portal to learn about available services and resources.
- Business Mentor NY is a FREE easy-to-use social network that allows entrepreneurs and volunteer business mentors to connect.
- Empire State Development's Small Business Hub provides assistance for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- New York State Small Business Development Centers [SBDCs] are available to assist entrepreneurs looking to start a business in New York State. Onsite and online counseling are available at locations throughout New York State.
- New York State's Paid Family Leave Program goes into effect on January 1, 2018.
- The New York State Department of Labor has filed proposed rule making to address what is commonly identified as "just-in-time," "call-in" or "on-call" scheduling. The full rule making package appeared in the November 22, 2017 issue of the State Register. The comment period ended on January 6, 2017.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
- 2016 data is now available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics' American Time Use Survey detailing the amount of time people spend doing various activities such as paid work, child care, volunteering, and socializing.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The Financial Planning Association is presenting a evening seminar Savvy Social Security Planning on Saturday January 13, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Need a simple headshot to use online? A professional photographer will take your photo in front of a backdrop @ Picture Yourself Online on Tuesday January 16, 2018 @ 3:30 PM.
- Learn about the e-Marketer database at an evening presentation Using e-Marketer to Start and Grow Your Business on Tuesday January 16, 2018 from 6;00 PM - 7:00 PM.
- SCORE's next B2B Sales for Entrepreneurs Who Hate Sales seminar is scheduled for Saturday January 20, 2018 from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- Join SCORE at a morning seminar From Recipe to Marketplace Success: Launching Your Food Product on Wednesday January 24, 2018 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Part Two of the Internal Revenue Services' Small Business Tax Series - Tax Tips for Freelancers - is scheduled for Thursday January 25, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- The New York Women's Chamber of Commerce invites you to attend a morning event Breakthrough Vision Board Workshop Hosted by Malla Harida on Friday January 26, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Rio Gallery Rooftop.
- The Financial Planning Association invites you to attend a afternoon seminar Health Savings Accounts: Stealth IRAs on Tuesday January 30, 2018 from 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM.
- Learn how to start the New Year with a strong social media marketing plan at a evening seminar Planning Your Social Media Marketing for a New Year of Business on Tuesday January 30, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Learn how to give your presentations a more professional appearance at SCORE's afternoon seminar Microsoft PowerPoint: Beyond the Basics on Tuesday January 16, 2018 from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM at Microsoft in Times Square.
- The Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] invites you to participate in a FREE morning seminar Kiva Crowdfunding Platform - 0% Interest Small Business on Wednesday January 17, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Pace University.
- Interested in starting your own business? Then participate in SCORE's morning seminar Questions You Need to Answer Before Starting a Business on Wednesday January 17, 2018 from 10:15 AM -2:00 PM at 26 Federal Plaza.
- Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises will have the opportunity to have a conversation with Assemblywoman Inez E. Dickens at the New York Women's Chamber of Commerce's Power Breakfast on Thursday January 18, 2018 from 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM at at Home Sweet Harlem.
- The Small Business Administration and the BOC Women's Business Center invite you to attend a morning seminar SBA: How to Write a Business Plan on Thursday January 18, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Ted Weiss Building on Broadway.
- Branding experts will detail key steps to effectively develop, protect and grow your brand at SCORE's morning seminar Branding 101: Build and Protect a Brand Customers Love on Monday January 22, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the offices of Ready/Set! on Sixth Avenue.
- Learn the first steps your organization can take to make your data secure from potential threats at the Better Business Bureau's morning seminar Cybersecurity for Non-Techies: What Non-Profits Need to Know on Wednesday January 24, 2018 from 9:30 AM - 12;00 PM at the Foundation Center-New York.
- SCORE is presenting a morning seminar Accounting and Finance Basics for Entrepreneurs on Wednesday January 24, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the offices of Presti & Naegele.
- Macy's is now accepting applications from woman or minority-owned companies for their Workshop at Macy's vendor retail development program. Applications are due January 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
- Join SCORE at a morning seminar Employment and Laboe Law Essentials: From Sexual Harassment to Department of Labor Issues on Saturday February 3, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at Microsoft on Fifth Avenue.
- The Better Business Bureau is hosting a complimentary morning workshop All About the BBB Standards for Charity Accountability: How Meeting Them Can Benefit Your Nonprofit on Thursday February 8, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM on 33rd Street.
- Learn more about the basics of franchising at Pace University's Small Business Development Center's [SBDC] FREE morning seminar Franchising Fundamentals on Thursday February 8, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- The Better Business Bureau's next Charity Effectiveness Symposium - Dealing with Disruption: Leadership Strategies for the Future - is scheduled for Tuesday February 27, 2018 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Baruch College.
- Learn how to better handle your business's financials at a Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] FREE evening seminar Small Business Accounting Basics on Tuesday February 27, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- Get help understanding your business's financial statements at a Pace University Small Business Development Center [SBDC] FREE evening seminar Small Business Financial Statements 101 on Tuesday March 6, 2018 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at One Pace Plaza.
- Learn how to update your approach to budgeting at the Better Business Bureau's morning seminar Raising Your Budgeting Game: Making the Most of Your Key Management Tool on Tuesday March 27, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at Scandinavia House.
- Interested in creating/updating your business plan or launching a new product or service? Then participate in SCORE's morning mid-day seminar Create the Business Plan That's Right for You on Monday January 29, 2018 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The New American Chamber of Commerce is hosting a SBA seminar series - Small Business Bootcamp - on five consecutive Wednesdays from January 10, 2018 - February 7, 2018 on Court Street. All sessions run from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
- The BOC Women's Business Center is presenting a evening seminar How to Attract New Business & Keep Your Life Sane on Wednesday February 28, 2018 from 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM at the Brooklyn Business Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.