NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required. Click on View Details and schedule a date/time for your appointment.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The second module of the 2017 NY StartUp Business Plan Competition - Developing Your Marketing Plan - is scheduled for Saturday February 25, 2017 from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM in Healy Hall. This is the third and final time this module will be offered.
- Get the information you need to Establish and Build Your Retail/Wholesale Business at SCORE's morning panel discussion on Tuesday February 28, 2017 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Part Four of The Library's Business Boost: Social Media Marketing Series - From Pins to Profits: Using Pinterest for Your Business - is scheduled for Tuesday February 28, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- Join Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts [VLA] at an evening seminar Legal Issues in Music on Thursday February 23, 2017 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM at the VLA Auditorium.
- The National Association of Women Business Owners [NAWBO] is presenting a Small Business Bootcamp for women and men small business owners, entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, freelancers, and consultants on Friday February 24, 2017 from 8:15 AM - 5:00 PM at Microsoft Offices in Times Square. The first twenty patrons to sign up using the code NYPLBOOTCAMP will receive FREE tickets.
- Turn your creative business idea into reality by taking the 1010 WINS - Canon Maxify Small Business Grant Challenge. Winners will be selected on Wednesday March 8, 2017 at the Adorama Live Theatre @ 1010 WINS. Entry deadline is Sunday February 26, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- The Better Business Bureau's next BBB Charity Effectiveness Symposium - Driving Mission Through Changing Times - is scheduled for Tuesday February 28, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Baruch College School of Public Affairs.
- Are you using Twitter effectively? Explore best practices and learn smart tips at the Business Center for New Americans morning seminar The Secret to Effective Twitter Marketing on Wednesday March 1, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM in Lower Manhattan.
- The annual Inside 3D Printing Conference and Expo is scheduled for Tuesday-Wednesday March 14-March 15, 2017 at the Jacob Javits Center.
- Join the New York Women's Chamber of Commerce for the 2017 State of Women in Business Conference on Friday March 17, 2017 from 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM at Columbia University Business School - Uris Hall. To register call 212-491-9640, X105 or contact lmiles@nywcc,org.
- The New York City Semifinal Competition of the 2017 New York Business Plan Competition will be held at Long Island University's Brooklyn Campus on Friday March 31, 2017. The submission deadline is Friday March 10, 2017.
- The Business Center for New Americans is presenting a morning seminar Small Business Tax - Top 10 Things to Know on Monday February 27, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM in Jackson Heights.
- Is your clean energy business ready to compete? Participate in the 76West Competition and register for their Informational Webinar on Friday March 3, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM EST.
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute, the Siena Institute, and the New York BizLab are proud to present Disrupt 2017 - TechDowbload: Future Technologies on Thursday April 27, 2017 at SUNY Polytechnic Institute in Albany.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.