NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner: Chocoholics of the World, Get Ready!
In honor of National Chocolate Day, we're proud to say The Harlem Chocolate Factory is here to stay. This high-quality, locally-manufactured and responsibly-sourced “chocolate cultural experience” is the creation of Jessica Spaulding, owner, founder, and business plan winner.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Start-Up NY—New York State Empire Development is creating tax free zones across the state for new and expanding businesses.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- The Library invites you to attend its Resource Fair for Entrepreneurial Performing Artists on Friday September 30, 2016 from 10:00 AM - 1:30 PM in Healy Hall.
- FastTrac NewVenture, a 40-hour program designed for aspiring and early stage entrepreneurs. The program will be held in June-July 2016 and in August-September 2016.
- Join SCORE at a morning seminar How to Launch and Market Your Food Business on Saturday October 15, 2016 from 11;00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- SCORE invites you to attend a morning seminar Questions You Need to Answer Before Starting a Business on Tuesday October 18, 2016 from 10:15 AM - 1:15 PM.
- SCORE is presenting a morning seminar Importing: International Trade Basics on Thursday October 20, 2016 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- SCORE's interactive morning seminar Your Selling Questions, Answered! is scheduled for Tuesday October 25, 2016 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Women Entrepreneurs NYC [WE NYC] and Next Street are launching a new workshop series designed specifically for women business owners in New York City. This FREE weekly series is scheduled for three consecutive Wednesdays: September 21, 2016, September 28, 2016, and October 5, 2016 at the Adam Clayton Powell State Office Building. All sessions run from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
- SCORE NYC and the SBA invite you to attend their first Women in Business Quarterly Breakfast: Six Steps to Achieving Work Life Synergy on Friday September 30, 2016 from 8:15 AM - 11:30 PM at 26 Federal Plaza.
- SCORE NYC's FREE Social Media Marketing Summit is scheduled for Thursday October 6, 2016 from 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM at 26 Federal Plaza.
- The New American Chamber of Commerce is presenting its annual Green Business Summit on Thursday October 13, 2016 from 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM at BNY Mellon.
- Join MIT Enterprise Forum NYC at a evening seminar Startup Showcase: the Future of FinTech on Tuesday October 18, 2016 from 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM at Anchin Block & Anchin LLP.
- The New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] is presenting a Complimentary afternoon seminar The ABC's of SBIR/STTR Funding on Wednesday October 19, 2016 from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM at Weill Cornell Medicine Greenberg Center.
- The New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Intensive SBIR/STTR Proposal Prep - NIH Focus is scheduled for Thursday-Friday, October 20-October 21, 2016. The October 20, 2016 session is scheduled from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM; the October 21, 2016 session is scheduled from 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM at the Weill Cornell Medicine Greenberg Center.
- Silicon Harlem invites you to participate in its 3rd Annual Conference : Broadband Matters on Friday October 21, 2016 from 8:30 AM -6:30 PM at MIST Harlem.
- The Crain's New York Business Family Business Summit is scheduled for Tuesday October 25, 2016 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Sheraton New York Times Square.
- The New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] is launching the fifth year of Entrepreneurship Lab NYC [ELabNYC] a life sciences and entrepreneur training and networking program. ELabNYC is now accepting applications for the 2017 program. Applications accepted until November 1, 2016.
- The next New York Business Expo and Conference is scheduled for Thursday November 11, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM at th Jacob Javits Center.
- The New York Foundation for the Arts has opened the application process for the second cohort of their Arts Business Incubator program. Program applications are due on Friday October 14, 2016. Finalists will be notified by Monday November 7, 2016.
- SCORE NYC invites you to attend a FREE morning panel discussion By Women, For Women: Lessons Learned Running a Business on Monday October 17, 2016 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- SCORE NYC's morning seminar Establish and Build Your Retail/Wholesale Business is scheduled for Monday October 24, 2016 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The Queens Economic Development Corporation's [QEDC] 11th Annual StartUP Business Plan Competition launches on August 20, 2016. To participate please attend one of several required information sessions in August 2016 and September 2016 at branches of the Queens Public Library.
- The 7th Annual Worl d Maker Faire is scheduled for Saturday-Sunday October 1-October 2, 2016 from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM at the New York Hall of Science.
- Join Convean at their Startupalooza at WeWork Astoria on Wednesday October 5, 2016 from 3:30 PM - 9:00 PM in Astoria.
- The next WCBS-SCNB Small Business Breakfast is scheduled for Wednesday October 19, 2016 from 7:15 AM - 10:00 AM at The Carltun in Eisenhower Park, East Meadow.
- Strategic Business Alliance is presenting a morning webinar How to Prepare Your Business for U.S. Entry on Tuesday October 18, 2016 from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.