NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Pace University's Small Business Development Center and the Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] have launched a FREE one-on-one Business Counseling Service at SIBL. One hour sessions are available one Tuesday a month [from 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM] and one Wednesday a month [from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM]. Registration is required.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- The New York City Police Department [NYPD] has launched a web portal enabling New Yorkers involved in traffic accidents to find their collision report online.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- If your business is working on - or hoping to work on - a project with a City agency or with the New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] the New York City Department of Small Business Services can help you secure the financing you need via their Contract Financing Loan Fund.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
- 2016 data is now available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics' American Time Use Survey detailing the amount of time people spend doing various activities such as paid work, child care, volunteering, and socializing.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- Join The Library at a FREE evening seminar Google It! - Digital Marketing for Savvy Entrepreneurs on Tuesday September 12, 2017 from 6;00 PM - 7:30 PM. Preregistration is required. Online registration will operate on a first registered, first served basis.
- Back by popular demand, SCORE's Digital Marketing Master Class - the first of six sessions - launches on Saturday September 16, 2017 from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
- Part 5 of The Library's FREE Online Customer Acquisition Series - Branding and Fan Building - is scheduled for Thursday September 21, 2017 from 6;00 PM - 7:30 PM.
- SCORE invites you to participate in a morning seminar How to Start a Nonprofit Business: a Practical Guide on Monday September 18, 2017 from 10:15 AM -2:00 PM.
- The Library invites you to participate in a FREE evening seminar Facebook for Your Business: a Hands-On Workshop on Tuesday September 26, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM. Preregistration is required.
- The NYC Family Enterprise Center is presenting its Family Business Day on Friday September 15, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
- SCORE invites you to participate in a FREE mid-day seminar Create the Business Plan That's Right for You on Friday September 15, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at Wells Fargo Bank on 42nd Street. Registration closes at midnight on September 13, 2017. Walkins will not be admitted.
- Join Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts [VLA] at a afternoon seminar Fair Use for Visual Artists on Thursday September 19, 2017 from 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM at the VLA Auditorium.
- The Better Business Bureau Foundation of Metro NY is presenting a morning seminar Building Your Planning Muscle: Developing Tools for Decision-Making in Uncertain Times on Tuesday September 26, 2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at Scandinavia House.
- SCORE's Business Owners Roundtable for Solopreneurs - the first of seven sessions -launches on Tuesday September 26, 2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Principle Group on Sixth Avenue.
- Get an overview of supply chain management issues at SCORE's evening seminar Sourcing and Supply Chain Management on Monday October 2, 2017 from 5:30 PM - 9:00 PM at Wells Fargo Bank on 42nd Street. Registration closes at midnight on September 28, 2017. Walkins will not be admitted.
- The New York City Family Enterprise Center invites you to participate in a morning seminar Raising Family Business Children [0-14 Years of Age] on Friday October 20, 2017 from 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM.
- Crain's 2017 Family Business Summit: Guiding Principles, Changing Circumstances is scheduled for Wednesday October 25, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM at The New York Athletic Club.
- The Third Annual Barnes & Noble Mini-Maker Faire is scheduled for three Barnes & Noble Manhattan locations on Saturday-Sunday November 11-November 12, 2017.
- The Workshop in Business Opportunities - WIBO - invites you to attend a FREE morning seminar A Business of Your Own, Is It Right For You? on Friday September 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM at the Baychester Library in the Bronx. To register call 212-684-0854 or email email@example.com.
- The Edenwald Library invites you to participate in a FREE afternoon seminar How to Write a Business Plan on Thursday September 28, 2017 at 4:30 PM. Registration is not required. For additional information call 718-798-3355.
- Interested in building your small business website? Join SCORE at a mid-day seminar Building and Maintaining Your Successful Web Presence on Thursday September 14, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- Get tips on how to market your business on a tight budget at SCORE's evening seminar Creative Marketing on a Shoestring Budget on Monday September 18, 2017 from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The next World Maker Faire is scheduled for Saturday-Sunday September 23-September 24, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows Park.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.