NYC Small Business Resource Center
Helpful Resources | Business Events | Notices & Press
Business Plan Winner 2016
The top prize of $15,000 went to Reefill created by Patrick Connorton, Jason Pessel, and Andrew Betlyon.
Reefill is a subscription-based service that provides New Yorkers with access to cold, filtered tap water from a network of refill stations throughout the city via Reefill’s app. View more images
A web portal that provides relevant information—in the language of their choosing—to New Americans wanting to start a business in New York City.
- Sample Business Plans are available for your use via Gale's Small Business Resource Center database. The database is available onsite or remotely from home with a valid New York Public Library card.
- Small Group Meeting Rooms are available free at the Science, Industry and Business Library for groups of 2-10 people working on a business project. Time slots are for one or two hours and Wi-Fi is available.
- Any person, business, or organization with a physical address within the five boroughs can register for a .nyc domain name web address.
- Locate an affordable incubator, co-working space or wet lab that meets your needs by visiting the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC} Incubators and Workspaces Network.
- Visit the New York City Economic Development Corporation's [NYCEDC] Digital.NYC - New York City's hub for tech and startups - to locate tech workspaces and co-working spaces, and accelerators and incubators.
- The New York City Department of Small Business Services' [ SBS] Business Solutions Center can help you launch your business.
- Need New York City Statistics? Visit NYC Data; NYC Open Data; NYC Census FactFinder; We Are Made in NY; and AllTransit.
- The U.S. Census Bureau's Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs [ASE] provides data on select economic and demographic characteristics of employer businesses and their owners by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status. ASE is a supplement to the Bureau's Survey of Business Owners [SBO] which is done every five years.
NYC Health Insurance Link [HI Link] helps New Yorkers—business owners and individuals—learn how to get the health coverage they need.
- Start-Up NY—New York State Empire Development is creating tax free zones across the state for new and expanding businesses.
- Effective December 21, 2015: anyone who owns a small unarmed aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] Registry before flying outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 16, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Drone owners can also call 1-844-244-3565.
- Small Business Pulse
Entrepreneurship Glossary: translation into Spanish, French, Persian and Arabic. Also translations of other documents.
Questions about your business credit? Visit Experian's BusinessCreditFacts.
BusinessLoans is a free, educational website that provides business financing information to small business owners.
- SCORE's interactive morning seminar Your Selling Questions, Answered! is scheduled for Tuesday October 25, 2016 from 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM.
- The Science, Industry and Business Library [SIBL] is presenting a FREE evening seminar How to Gain More Clients and Get Your Business in the Media on Thursday October 27, 2016 from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM at The Library.
- The Crain's New York Business Family Business Summit is scheduled for Tuesday October 25, 2016 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Sheraton New York Times Square.
- Join Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts [VLA] for a evening seminar Fair Use for Visual Artists on Tuesday October 25, 2016 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM at the VLA Auditorium.
- Convean invites you to attend their next Startupalooza at WeWork on Wednesday October 26, 2016 from 3:30 PM - 9:00 PM on Broad Street.
- The New York City Economic Development Corporation [NYCEDC] is launching the fifth year of Entrepreneurship Lab NYC [ELabNYC] a life sciences and entrepreneur training and networking program. ELabNYC is now accepting applications for the 2017 program. Applications accepted until November 1, 2016.
- The next round of applications is now being accepted for the NYC Economic Development Corporation's and HITLAB's Digital Health Breakthrough Network. The anticipated fill date is November 15, 2016.
- The next New York Business Expo and Conference is scheduled for Thursday November 10, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM at th Jacob Javits Center.
- SCORE NYC's morning seminar Establish and Build Your Retail/Wholesale Business is scheduled for Monday October 24, 2016 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Brooklyn Central Library on Grand Army Plaza.
- The Business Center for New Americans invites you to participate in a FREE workshop Quickbooks Online: Level 1 on Tuesday November 15, 2016 from 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM in Jackson Heights.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership's 2016 schedule of Next Level Webinars is now available. All webinars take place on the last Monday of the month from 8:30 PM -9:30 PM.
- The European Patent Office is offering a series of webinars for patent information users.
- The Volunteers of Legal Service' Microenterprise Project and the New York City Department of Small Business Services have joined together to launch their Commercial Leasing Initiative. Through the Initiative, volunteer lawyers will educate entrepremeurs and small business owners across the City about leasing commercial real estate.