The Library After Hours: Halloween Masquerade
Get spooked at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building for the city's most cerebral happy hour.
Join us for the third annual literary costume parade hosted by fashion mentor Tim Gunn! Hear horror writers Samantha Hunt, Alice Sola Kim, Victor LaValle, Kelly Link, and Amber Sparks read their favorite scary stories aloud in the Rose Main Reading Room! Plus, take in spooky 16mm films, craft with the collections, and enjoy tricks, treats, and drinks all night in our iconic building on Fifth Avenue.
Library After Hours Halloween Masquerade will include:
- Literary Costume Parade and Contest: Take your best literary look—inspired by a book, poem, or character—from the page to the stage! Fashion mentor Tim Gunn and our local librarians Ricci Yuhico and Isaiah Pittman will decide who wears the theme best.
- Scary Stories: Horror writers including Samantha Hunt, Alice Sola Kim, Victor LaValle, Kelly Link, and Amber Sparks read aloud some of their favorite passages of suspenseful writing in the Rose Main Reading Room.
- One-night-only collection display: Spooky items from the Library’s collections.
- 16mm films: Provided by the Reserve Film and Video Collection at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.
- Games, crafts, and puzzles
- DJ Robi D Light
- Food & drinks available for purchase
Arrive early to participate in the scary stories, collection display, and films, which will wrap up just before the parade. To take advantage, be sure to get your Priority Advanced Ticket.
About the Literary Costume Parade and Contest: 75 entrants can sign up to participate, and 25 semi-finalists will be selected for the parade. Sign up opens at 7:30; costume review by Tim Gunn begins at 8:50; semi-finalists walk the parade at 9:25. No purchase necessary to enter the contest. For security reasons, masks covering the entire face or head may not be worn until you have entered the Library. Any props that can be construed as weapons will not be allowed into the building. Find more rules and regulations here. Make it work!
21+ | ID required | #NYPLafterhours
Sign up to be notified about future events!
A limited number of Priority Advance Tickets are available. Priority ticketing grants you entry beginning at 7 PM, giving you more time to maximize your experience exploring the Library. When you purchase a Priority Advanced Ticket, it benefits the Library and helps make this event—and others like it—possible. It also grants you 10% off at the bar and Library Shop during the event.
Pay What You Wish entry will begin at 8 PM, with a suggested admission price of $15. If you miss your chance to get a ticket in advance, we will have a limited number of tickets available at the door on a first come first served basis. Cash Only.
The Library After Hours is made possible with the generous support of Mahnaz Ispahani Bartos and Adam Bartos.
Lines start forming at 5th Ave in advance of the event. Accessible entrance available at 42nd Street