Ellis Island: American Family Immigration History Center
Database of immigrants who arrived at the Port of New York through Ellis Island, 1892-1957. Digitized passenger lists and ship images are accessible through a free account.
Outside the Library
New York City History;
United States History
Search for an immigrant's name and to view a digitized page of the passenger manifest where the name appears. Information on the manifest may include the immigrant's age, birthplace, occupation, destination, physical description, and the names of other family members traveling in the same party.
Dates of Coverage:
The Library has various transcribed and compiled passenger lists in paper form. Check the Library Catalog for holdings.
- International Herald Tribune, 1887–2013
- Women's Magazine Archive
- Communist Historical Newspaper Collection
- Sanborn Maps, New York State (Geocoded Edition)
- Irish Historical Newspapers
- Europa World of Learning
- Europa World Plus
- Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & Law
- World Who's Who
- Accessible only at select Library locations
- Accessible outside the Library with your NYPL card
- Free Web resource - available anywhere
- Top recommended database in selected subject