Bartleby.com Great Books Online
Full-text access to a variety of standard reference books, fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
Language and Literature;
English and American Literature
The preeminent Internet publisher of literature, reference, and verse provides students, researchers, and the intellectually curious with unlimited access to books and information on the World Wide Web, free of charge. Highlights of this site include the 18-volume Cambridge History of English and American Literature, published between 1907 and 1921; the Oxford Book of English Verse, published in 1900; and the Yale Book of American Verse, published in 1912.
Dates of Coverage:
Antiquity-early 20th century
The New York Public Library owns many of the works included in Bartleby.com. Check the Library Catalog for holdings.
- International Herald Tribune, 1887–2013
- Women's Magazine Archive
- Communist Historical Newspaper Collection
- Sanborn Maps, New York State (Geocoded Edition)
- Irish Historical Newspapers
- Europa World of Learning
- Europa World Plus
- Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & Law
- World Who's Who
- Accessible only at select Library locations
- Accessible outside the Library with your NYPL card
- Free Web resource - available anywhere
- Top recommended database in selected subject