Getting Started With SimplyE
Arabic | العَرَبِية · Bengali | বাঙালি · Chinese (Simplified) | 简体中文 · Chinese (Traditional) | 繁體中文 · English · French | Français · Italian | Italiano · Japanese | 日本語 · Korean | 한국어 · Polish | Polski · Russian | Русский · Spanish | Español · Urdu | اُردُو
Additional help with SimplyE: For iOS | For Android | Using SimplyE | Troubleshooting
Not finding the answer you need? Email us.
How-To Videos for SimplyE
Watch: How to get started with SimplyE on iOS
Watch: How to get started with SimplyE on Android
- iPad and iPad mini 5th generation and newer, iPad Air 2 and newer, iPad Pro 3rd generation
- iPhone 6 and newer, iOS 8+
- iPod Touch 5th generation, iOS 8+
- Recommended: Android 10 API 29 and above
- Minimum: Android 5.0 Lollipop (some users will still have issues if they cannot update their devices)
- Devices Tested: Google Pixel, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note
The devices and operating systems listed below will not work with the SimplyE app.
- Any Android devices running an operating system older than Android 5.0
- Nook HD/HD+, Nook Tablet, Nook Color
- Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
- Kobo e-readers
Installing the App & Logging In
Search the Google Play or Apple App Store for “SimplyE.” To begin using the app, open it and log in with your full library card number and PIN.
Searching & Browsing
To browse titles: Tap Catalog at the bottom of the screen, which will display titles in various categories. Swipe from left to right to view the popular and available books in each category (tap the category titles or More... to view all books in a category). To search for a specific author or title: Tap the search icon in the upper right corner and enter the author or book name. Tap the cover of any book to read its description, or download or reserve it.
Sorting & Filtering Results
When viewing all books in a category, you can sort by Author, Availability, or Collection. You can also sort books in the My Books and Reservations tabs.
Once a book is downloaded, tap the Read button. Turn pages by tapping on the right or left edges of the screen. Tap the center of the screen to open the navigation bar. The table of contents can be found in the upper right corner. To exit the title, tap the back arrow (<) in the upper left corner. Tap Aa to access controls for adjusting text style and size, brightness, and contrast.
Accessing New Holds & Borrowed E-Books
In the Reservations and My Books screens, tap the refresh icon in the upper left corner to check for available holds and books you may have checked out from another source. E-books downloaded with another app might not available to view in SimplyE.
All borrowed digital titles are automatically returned at the end of their lending periods, so you never have to worry about late fees (exceptions include titles in the public domain, which can stay on your SimplyE bookshelf indefinitely). To return a title early: Go to My Books, tap the title and tap Return.
Applying for a SimplyE Library Card
Follow the instructions below for "How to Log In with Your Library Card." On the screen that asks you to enter your barcode and PIN, there is a link below those fields that says "Sign Up." Tap that link and follow the instructions on your screen. Note: you must be within the borders of New York State when you are applying in order for the application service to work.
Go to More/Help in the SimplyE app, or contact your local library.
Apple iOS Devices
- Tap the Settings tab at the bottom right of the screen
- Tap Accounts
- Select your library
- Tap and enter your barcode number or your username
- Tap the PIN field and enter your PIN
- Tap Catalog tab at the bottom left of the screen to start browsing and searching for e-books
- Tap Menu on the Upper Left of the screen
- Tap Manage Accounts
- Tap Accounts
- Tap the relevant library you wish to log into
- Tap Log In
- Enter your library card number and pin
- Tap Log In
- Tap Accounts in the top left corner until you see Settings then tap Catalog to start browsing for e-books
If you encounter problems logging in with your library card number, please tap Report An Issue under your respective library's account screen.