Key Resources for Domestic Violence Survivors in New York City
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic or gender-based violence, help is available:
- Call 311 to be connected to the nearest NYC Family Justice Center
- Find resources and support in NYC by searching the City's HOPE Resource Directory online at www.nyc.gov/NYCHOPE
- Call the City's 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-621-HOPE (4673) for immediate safety planning, shelter assistance, and other resources. TTY: 800-810-7444
- In an emergency, dial 911.
You can also:
- CHAT on a secure website with a Safe Horizon advocate who can offer information, advocacy, and support through SafeChat on Monday to Friday, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. (except for holidays)
- TEXT confidentially with an advocate with the NYS Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline at 1-844-997-2121, or CALL the New York State DV hotline, 24/7: 800-942-6906
- For help with stress and anxiety please call NYC Well (1-888-692-9355) or text "WELL" to 65173.
NYC Family Justice Centers
ENDGBV has begun to reopen its Family Justice Centers (FJCs) safely and is offering limited in-person services by appointment only by calling your borough Family Justice Center at 311. Services and support for survivors remains by phone with guidance on immediate safety planning, shelter assistance, and community resources.
You can call any FJC to get connected to free and confidential assistance for victims and survivors of domestic and gender-based violence, which can include sexual violence, human trafficking, stalking, and intimate partner violence.
Through any NYC FJC, survivors of domestic and gender-based violence and their children can get connected to organizations that provide case management, economic empowerment, counseling, civil legal, and criminal legal assistance. Located in all five boroughs, FJCs are safe, caring environments that provide one-stop services and support. Key City agencies, community, social and civil legal services providers, and District Attorney's Offices are located on-site at FJCs, to make it easier for survivors to get help.
All are welcome regardless of language, income, gender identity, or immigration status. Interpretation services are available at every FJC, and locations are wheelchair accessible. Call ahead to request other accommodations.
NYC Family Justice Centers can help you with:
- Planning for your safety
- Applying for public benefits, shelter, housing, and other support services
- Mental health and counseling services to support emotional well-being for you and your children
- Information on job training programs, including help with resume writing and interviewing skills
- Referrals to education programs, including workshops to help with budgeting, credit repair, and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- Legal help for orders of protection, custody, visitation, child support, divorce, housing, and immigration
- Connecting to trained law enforcement, such as NYPD, NYC Sheriff's Office, and District Attorney's Office
- Childcare for children age 3+ while you get services at the FJC
You can call your nearest FJC (Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM):
NYC Family Justice Center, Bronx
NYC Family Justice Center, Brooklyn
NYC Family Justice Center, Manhattan
NYC Family Justice Center, Queens
NYC Family Justice Center, Staten Island
Additional Domestic Violence Resources:
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) /TTY: 1-800-787-3224 / Chat online: www.thehotline.org
National Dating Abuse Helpline: Call or text “LOVEIS” to 1-866-331-9474 or visit: www.loveisrespect.org
If you or someone you know needs help, we are here for you.
Summaries provided via NYPL’s catalog, which draws from multiple sources. Click through to each book’s title for more.