A Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free New Year
September is an opportune time to try some festive gluten-free recipes: it is when Food Allergy Awareness Month coincides with the Jewish month of Elul, which culminates with Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) on the eve of October 2.
Chances are that you or someone you know is gluten-free. Gluten, a mixture of proteins in wheat, rye, barley and their crossbreeds, can be life-threatening for the 1 in 100 Americans who suffer from celiac disease, according to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). Gluten can also cause health problems for those with non-celiac gluten sensitivity, according to the National Institutes for Health. Consequently, one in five Americans actively tries to include gluten-free foods in their diet, according to a 2015 Gallup poll.
From traditional recipes with modified ingredients to naturally gluten-free dishes, enjoy Jewish holiday cooking this fall with these gluten-free options from the Library’s collection.
Gluten Free Jewish Holiday Cookbooks
- The New Yiddish Kitchen: Gluten-free and Paleo Kosher Recipes for the Holidays and Every Day
- Nosh On This: Gluten-free Baking From a Jewish-American Kitchen
- Gluten Free Canteen's Book of Nosh: Baking For Jewish Holidays & More
General Gluten-Free Cookbooks with Rosh Hashana Recipes
- Silk Road Vegetarian: Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten Free Recipes for the Mindful Cook
- Gluten-free and Vegan Holidays: Celebrating the Year With Simple, Satisfying Recipes and Menus
- Chickpea Flour Does It All: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian Recipes for Every Taste and Season
- Gluten-Free Baking For The Holidays: 60 Recipes for Traditional Festive Treats
- Gluten-free Wish List: Sweet & Savory Treats You've Missed the Most
- My Kid's Allergic To Everything Dessert Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes for Sweets and Treats the Whole Family Will Enjoy
Gluten-Free and Allergy-Friendly Jewish Cookbooks
- A Taste of Tradition: Pesach And Beyond: The Complete Guide To Non-Gebrochs and Kosher Gluten-free Cooking
- 250 Kosher Gluten Free Recipes: Discover How Tasty Gluten Free Can Be
- Simply Tempting: The Allergy Friendly Kosher Cookbook
- The Gourmet Jewish Cookbook: More Than 200 Recipes From Around the World
- A Taste Of Freedom: Recipes for Passover (or Anytime) Without Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts & Fish
Find more gluten-free Rosh Hashana recipes online:
- Tori Avey’s Mediterranean and Sephardic specialities
- Est Gezunterheyt Yiddish cooking videos (Eve Jochnowitz & Rukhl Schaechter, Forverts)
- Afro-ashkefardi Recipes from kosher soul chef Michael Twitty.
Need more? Explore NYPL’s Jewish cookbooks with this handy collection guide by the late Roberta Saltzman, who donated and cataloged many cookbooks. Find books about celiac disease and general gluten-free diet recipes in the Library’s catalog.
Contact the Dorot Jewish Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-930-0601 to ask questions or request books.