Recent Hip Hop You May Have Missed
As with a lot of hip hop music, there are language advisories. Please be aware that all content may not be suitable for those under 17 years old.
- Chance the Rapper is, as far as I’m concerned, this year’s breakout superstar. He was slated to perform at the 2016 Hot 97 Summer Jam but his set was canceled due to inclement weather. That may have been the last chance to seem him before he blows up. Up to this point he has released all his music as free mixtapes.* He almost signed with Sony this past week but has decided to remain independent. His style is smooth, sweet, and spiritual.
- If you want to mellow out even more you’re going to want to turn to Flying Lotus for some electronica/jazz beats with rap over top. You're Dead is the newest album and "Never Catch Me" features Kendrick Lamar.
- Joey Bada$$ is Brooklyn born and his style is very '90s East Coast. “Christ Conscious” or “Paper Trail$$” from B4.Da.$$ are good ones to start with.
- If you like Joey Bada$$, see Oddisee. He’s going to give you a sound that’s a little bit harder. The track “Lifting Shadows”** is an honest look at being Muslim in America today.
- To get real turnt up, Run the Jewels (El-P and Killer Mike) is this blogger’s choice. “Blockbuster Night Part 1” on Run the Jewels 2.
- If you need a female vocalist in your life (and let’s face it, who doesn’t?) I recommend The Internet, a trio that has Syd tha Kyd (also from Odd Future) and specifically the track “Girl” from Ego Death. It's a little more R&B, soulful.
Who have you been listening to? Let us know in the comments.
*datpiff.com is a free online resource to stream and download tons of mixtapes.
**If we don’t have an artist’s album check out the music database that the library provides access to—Freegal Music. With your library card you get three free song downloads per week (to keep!)