Job Search Central
Building Works: Pre-Apprenticeship Training
Building Works is a pre-apprenticeship training that prepares interested candidates for careers in the building trades. In partnership with the NYC District Council of Carpenters Labor Technical College, the 3 month training is tuition-free and provides both classroom instruction and hands-on experience preparing you for success in a union apprenticeship. Participants in Building Works gain experience from a wide range of courses, including job readiness, industry related math, health and safety, as well as hands-on instruction in shop classes under the supervision of journey-level union carpenters.
Certifications received during the training may include:
- OSHA 10-Hour Construction Safety
- 40 Hour Hazardous Waste Worker
- Scaffold User
A first year apprenticeship in the Carpenters Union earns $19.23/hour while receiving on the job training and technical classroom instruction. For more than a decade, Building Works has successfully trained hundreds of candidates most of whom have joined --and are completing--unionized apprenticeships...and are building careers in a skilled trade. Together we are helping to build the future of organized labor.
Candidates for Building Works Pre-Apprenticeship Training must:
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of enrollment
- Have a High School Diploma or GED, and pass a basic skills test at 8th grade level
- Be either unemployed or under-employed
- Be physically able to work
- Be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Pass a drug test
- Commit to completing the entire, full-time, 3 month training with classes running from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
To apply for the Building Works training please contact one of our referral partners