Job Search Central
Free Job Training for Community Health Workers
In order to ensure career advancement and successful college transition, CUNY Career PATH participants are given career-focused academic and English language skills instruction, job training leading to industry-recognized credentials and college credits, academic advisement, career counseling and employment assistance.
Hostos Community College of The City University of New York provides a Community Health Worker Program which trains community residents of South Bronx and Northern Manhattan who meet the eligibility requirements to join the healthcare workforce as Community Health Workers.
Community Health Workers are public health professionals who help bridge gaps between different populations and healthcare or social service systems by providing outreach, basic health education, referrals and follow-up service, case management, advocacy and home visiting services.
- The training consists of 120 hours centered around community health worker core competencies, and contemporary health issues such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease and chronic disease self-management.
- An additional 30 hours are devoted to help participants with their academic skills in reading, writing and math.
- Following the classroom training, participants will spend 30 hours shadowing experienced community health workers as part of their practicum.
- Participants will earn 9 credits toward a Community Health A.S. (Associate degree in Science).
- Adult, 18 years or older
- High School Diploma
- Demonstrated academic and/or English language instruction needs
- Interested in getting a college degree
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Unemployed, a dislocated or TAA-eligible worker, or a worker at risk of losing a job or seeking career advancement
For more information, please call 718-664-2544 for upcoming information session dates.
Hostos Community college is at 500 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451.
If you want to learn more about free job training programs, please visit Job Search Central online or in person at 188 Madison Avenue and 34th Street.