Get the Most Out of Your Gadgets With NYPL
Were you one of the lucky ones who found a shiny new ereader or mobile device under the (nondenominational) tree? Or did you just decide 2011 was the year you would resolve to do more of your work and leisure reading on a screen? Before you whip out your credit card for ebooks remember that other card. NYPL might have you covered for free... read on to find out how in three easy steps!
- See if your device is compatible with our audio (MP3 and WMA format) and ebook materials (EPUB and PDF format). (Also available are Mobipocket files compatible with PalmOs and some Windows devices.)
- Download OverDrive Media Console for your computer or device. It is available for Windows, Macintosh, Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, and Windows Mobile.
- Log in with your library card to ebooks.nypl.org. Search, browse, and find the books you want. (If you don't have an NYPL library card yet, make sure you get one!)
Consult one of these guides specific to the device you use:
- Get eBooks (on your PC or Mac)
- Get eAudiobooks (on your PC or Mac, to transfer to a player)
- Get eBooks on Sony Reader
- Get eBooks on Barnes & Noble nook
- Get eBooks on Apple iPad (iPhone and iPod Touch users with iOS 4.0 can now use the OverDrive app to download and read ebooks as well as audiobooks)
Under some titles you might see the option to purchase from LibraryBIN, which is great if all of our copies are checked out or it's a reference title you know you want to keep. That way you can get instant access to an ebook and support the library at the same time!
What are you reading, and what are you reading it on? Please let us know!